X-fer case internal pics please

sy112

New member
Re: X-fer case internal pics please

macg3cpu said:
Could someone send me some X-fer case internal pics please

thanks
Tyson

here ya go, the last on is why mine was howling like a banshee :wink:
DCP00391_001.sized.jpg

DCP00392.sized.jpg

DCP00393.sized.jpg

DCP00394.sized.jpg

DCP00397.sized.jpg
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
how hard was that to take apart and put back together??

maybe if im bored ill rip mine out one day and just check it out if its not a huge pain in the ass.
 

sy112

New member
NJTy180 said:
how hard was that to take apart and put back together??

maybe if im bored ill rip mine out one day and just check it out if its not a huge pain in the ass.

honestly not hard at all, made a lot simpler with impact to get the big nut off. you need to make sure to get good sealer to put it back together or it will leak, this is from experience. not very complex in there at all. just need to be sure to use the pry tabs to pull apart, there is no gasket so if you mess up the machined finish then it has a better chance of leaking.
 

sy112

New member
no offense but if you make a thin gasket then you are seperating more than what is supposed to, it would mess up your clearances, they are machined parts with low tolerances, if they aren't right then I figure your t-case wouldn't last long. just make sure surfaces are clean and use good sealer and everything will be ok. jut my .02 cents :D
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
sy112 said:
no offense but if you make a thin gasket then you are seperating more than what is supposed to, it would mess up your clearances, they are machined parts with low tolerances, if they aren't right then I figure your t-case wouldn't last long. just make sure surfaces are clean and use good sealer and everything will be ok. jut my .02 cents :D

im not talking about your normal paper gasket material :wink:

I got some stuff thats thinner than a sheet of computer paper and seals like crazy. I understand what you're saying, I would always take that into account before actually doing it. ::eek:k::
 

skata

Donating Member
NJTy180 said:
im not talking about your normal paper gasket material :wink:

I got some stuff thats thinner than a sheet of computer paper and seals like crazy. I understand what you're saying, I would always take that into account before actually doing it. ::eek:k::

why would you want to waste time trying to cut out a gasket? just use the anaerobic stuff and be done with it. it's specifically made for that use.
 

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
ds

ds

Wow thats great. Thanks for the pics.

That chain looks realy loose,Is it possible to spin one on the sprocket?

Which part is it on these that goes out (viscus clutch)?

What parts are we still able to get?


How do you tell if the chain is loose without taking it out of the truck?

Not that I don't want to take it out and see if mine looks the same as pic

:lol: Just 20 ?'s

Thanks Man
Tyson
 

sy112

New member
if I remember right there was some controversy about the slack in a chain, mine had a little but no where near jumping off. seems like someone had a new one put on and had to take it apart for some reason and it had already streched to about where his old on was, think it might have been Ed Hess but not sure.

why are you asking, you having T-case problems??? what are your symptoms??? If it were me I'd drive it till it falls apart, then worry about it. sure as hell wouldn't drop it just to check it out, they are no fun dropping and even less fun putting back in by yourself, this things weighs half as much as I do.
 

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
sy112 said:
why are you asking, you having T-case problems??? what are your symptoms??? If it were me I'd drive it till it falls apart, then worry about it. sure as hell wouldn't drop it just to check it out, they are no fun dropping and even less fun putting back in by yourself, this things weighs half as much as I do.

I took the front prop out and come to find out the damn thing thing won't
move for nothin'.......just spins the the front output ...even up in the air
Also there's alot of slop in the driveline from forward to reverse ,there's
a big clunck (sound like u joints....but twice as loud)
but it moves with it in well enogh to run 8.31's @1/8th mile
So I'm just trying to gather info for when the sumbitch GRENADES :roll:
TIA ,Tyson
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
I've got a sy here at the house that had a loose chain. you can actually replace the thing while it's in the truck.....

just pull the back half of the case apart and leave the front bolted up.

it made a horrible noise when you tried to drive it but this was after 100k miles and then stepping up to ~700hp.

I guess she was just all streached out.
 

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
Where can you order a replacement chain at?

Is this something that should be done as precautionary before a big build? I have 100k miles on the stocker.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
streach in the chain is normal...all 4wd vehicles will have this, but ours is special bc of the hp we can make and the repated launches ppl give them. any good 4wd parts wholeseller will have the parts needed to fix the case with a new chain and seals
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
sy112 said:
if I remember right there was some controversy about the slack in a chain, mine had a little but no where near jumping off. seems like someone had a new one put on and had to take it apart for some reason and it had already streched to about where his old on was, think it might have been Ed Hess but not sure.

why are you asking, you having T-case problems??? what are your symptoms??? If it were me I'd drive it till it falls apart, then worry about it. sure as hell wouldn't drop it just to check it out, they are no fun dropping and even less fun putting back in by yourself, this things weighs half as much as I do.

When the 3 stooges had ruined my last 700r4, i had them put a new chain in the Transfer case. Only to play it safe since it was the original chain and i knew i was going to put some stress on it. the case then leaked! While doing the 400 conversion I had a buddy open the case up and reseal it. He found bolts that wehre stripped out. Simple fix to just use longer bolts with nuts....

fine ever since....

ed
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
T-Case and front Diff.

T-Case and front Diff.

Tyson,

I do know one thing, the chain will snap. Years ago, I was spinning in water w my stock Ty and when it caught the chain snapped. Fortunately I was on warranty at the time. I think the job was > $3K at the dealer. The T-case is >$2000. list. Don't know if they R still available.

The manual says to use a 1/8" bead of Silicone sealer and they mention Loctite 598, GM # 9985675 or equivalent.

I tore apart the Front Diff., and the manual mentioned some anaerobic sealant by Loctite which I finally located at NAPA. I didn't get it quite right and it now leaks.
 
Top