Engine tie downs

JoeLutz

New member
Brian suggested using engine tie down straps to help eliminate false knock. Where is the best place to get them and what kind of material is reccomended. Back in the old days they used to use chains to keep from breaking motor mounts!
 

mrweelr

New member
I tried a 900 lb. rated nylon tie-down strap from the alternator bracket to the front upper A-arm bolt. It held for a while, but after a few power launches, it gave out and broke. After I rebuild my front-end with the new PST suspension components, I'm going to give it another try with a stronger nylon ratchet strap. Don't use a chain or metal rod; you'll get false knock and/or damage something under the hood when it breaks!
 

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
Has anyone actually proven this false knock theory?

I've had a chain for quite some time, and never gotten any false knock from it.

Do people say it resonates? How can something that is tightened so much rattle/resonate?

Pics of my tie down are around here on the site somewhere...can also be seen on Mike's page.
 

ronniejoe80

Member
I have a turnbuckle on mine and have it slightly loose so the mount takes normal vibrations out and once it flexes the chain takes over. I wrapped it with a piece of heater hose to take away any rattle that might cause false knock. At least Datamaster shows nothing of it.
 

JoeLutz

New member
Tyler,
The way I see it is if the chain is tight, it can't rattle. However, on all the old hotrods, they ran the chain with a little slack in it to cut down on vibration in the vehicle under normal driving, but its still there when you need it.
 

sy1765

New member
i drilled a hole in the engine to alternator bracket and used a ratcheting strap rated to 3000 lbs. this was a quick fix to a broken motor mount. its still holding tight after a month of abuse. i got the strap at autozone and it only comes in racecar yellow :sad: .
 

smeagol

Active member
I used the loose turnbuckle with a few chain links on a couple trucks now with good results. I'm of the mind that it only needs that tightness at load, keep it loosened in regular driving.
 

Hu Ryde

Donating Member
I have a tailgate cable. Got it from Auto-Zone for $12. Works great for me. Attached to alternator and drilled and taped it into the frame. No problems so far.
 

JoeLutz

New member
On 2002-01-19 01:30, Hu Ryde wrote:
I have a tailgate cable. Got it from Auto-Zone for $12. Works great for me. Attached to alternator and drilled and taped it into the frame. No problems so far.
That sounds like a good idea. I think I may try it.
 
Top