Yell yeah I'm getting a Alky setup!!!!!!!!

Mkid

New member
Thanks to all you replied to my inquiries about the Alky injection!! If it does what they say it does then why doesn't everyone have this setup?HMMMM well what kind of prices am I looking at to set it up on my Ty???? Where is a good place to get the kit??

Thanks again,

Malik
 

damianhol

New member
I was looking at some kits too. Maybe another group purchase possibility. BDubb set up one for the SMC kit with 5 or more people @ 10% off, 10 or more for 15% off, etc. I think I'd be willing to do it. The list price is $350 from what I've seen. there are others for less, but with less features. you get what you pay for, I guess.
 

Tooky

Serious about performance
On 2002-03-12 20:23, Mkid wrote:
If it does what they say it does then why doesn't everyone have this setup?
I wondered the same thing, here is some conclusions I have reached:

- If you run out of alcohol, your truck would suddenly be very prone to knock. However the SMC kit has a low alcohol LED.
- Some people don't want the N20-looking injection setup on their intake.
- Some people don't want to drill into their intake anywhere or otherwise irreversibly modify it.
- Some people don't beleive it works and would just rather use "tried and true" leaded race gas.
- it's another thing to run out of and have to refill before you can get "back in the game".

Now don't get me wrong, I plan on getting an Alcohol injection kit myself in the next year or two! I just wanted to throw some ideas out to answer your question.
 

bigjohn

New member
heres a question. since you can use washer fluid for the alky why couldn't you just use the windshield washer tank set up for your injection? flame me if im out to lunch.
 
My dad did just that back in the late 70's early 80's. There was no alky kits back then. Just a hobbs switch and a nozzle before the TB. He was with one of the original alky gurus in those times, who was responsible for GM's decision to turbocharge the Buick. His name was Dick Giffith, who passed away last year. If you read the 1979 book "Turbochargers" by Hugh McCannes(sp?), you'll see a reference to him about alky injection in the turbo corvair. So yeah, it's been done. You are probably better off with a kit that's designed for alky injection, with different speeds and such. The SMC seems abit pricey, but it's quality job #1 for sure. HTH,
 

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
- If you run out of alcohol, your truck would suddenly be very prone to knock. However the SMC kit has a low alcohol LED.

True. You could simply change programs back to a pump gas tolerant setting until you refill.

- Some people don't want the N20-looking injection setup on their intake.

You can mount it under the throttle body and keep it hidden. Put black wire loom over the braided line to make it look stock.

- Some people don't want to drill into their intake anywhere or otherwise irreversibly modify it.

You could plug the hole with a metal plug. Something very similar to the plug on the side of the remote oil filter unit. It faces towards the radiator. It would fill the hole and barely stick up into the airflow path, but not enough to make a difference.

- Some people don't beleive it works and would just rather use "tried and true" leaded race gas.

That will work too - but they get to have fun cleaning their o2 sensor all the time.

- it's another thing to run out of and have to refill before you can get "back in the game".

But it is cheap, lightweight and very easy to carry in reserve.

Now don't get me wrong, I plan on getting an Alcohol injection kit myself in the next year or two! I just wanted to throw some ideas out to answer your question.

I say get it now and crank up the boost.

My truck won't be running for a LONG time, but I may consider getting in on a group purchase now if we can get a bunch of people in to get the price down.
 

Pegleg

New member
I ordered my unit from SMC and they said it would be about 3 weeks to get it. If you go to the Grand National pages you'll see a lot of info. It will supposedly keep the knock down and you can set it to come on with your boost control. I decided to spend the money the SMC unit instead of the water injection which is also popular.
Ken
 

bigjohn

New member
lets say you have a stock truck and want to use the washer bottle. could you just use the washer pump? what size nozzle would you use?
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
the washer pump isnt strong enough to overcome the 15 or so psi acting on the nozzel.
 

sy2185

New member
HA! I've been out of town and ordered the SMC kit w/o having checked here for a while. I've taken many DM records to compare w/after install to KNOW what really happens w/alky. Will keep you all informed.
 
Top