valvetrain part numbers

Falco

Donating Member
Guys,

It's time to freshen up my valve train stuff. There were quite a few posts regarding to valve train components both on the list and here, but I still can't see a clear picture. Could somebody help here with a few part numbers and comments?

I wanna change my pushrods, rocker arms, valve seals and springs. I've stock heads, stock cam so far. Would like to get a bit more durable stuff than stock, still wondering on 1.6 rocker arms and roller rockers if it dosen't require any modification to the heads. Crane or Comp Cams or Fel-Pro for the gasket.

An other way could be a whole head swap to L35. Maybe with larger valves. However if I choose this way I still wanna use stronger pushrods and maybe aftermarket rocker arms (1.6 and/or roller).

Unfortunatelly, I'm on a budget :cry:, so would be interested in some cost effective tips. I appreciate any ideas, part numbers and comments.

TIA,
 

nightdiver

Active member
When i was searching for my valvetrain stuff i saw that summit has 1,6 rockers that are steel stamped in a very good price
I think youll find everything you want there
 

myclone

Donating Member
First off this is just IMO. So you will prolly get ppl that will say Im stupid and/or ppl that will agree. Im just listing what has worked for me and Ive been happy with.


Valve springs: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=16145&prmenbr=76

These require no machining of the cyl heads. Will work fine with stock roller cam. Will tolerate the stock cam lift for longer than me or you will ever live and are good to 8.3k RPMs (Yes, I tested em doing burnouts). They survived my abuse so they will last you a lifetime. Its not mandatory to replace the pressed in studs with these but Id recommend it myself.

Push rods: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=16380&prmenbr=76

Same deal as the springs and can be used with guide plates if you choose.

Rocker arms are, for the most part, what you budget will allow. Self aligning ones are pricey but dont require guide plates. They drop right in. Non self aligning are cheaper but need guid plates/hardened push rods/screw in studs to keep from "walking" off the end of the valve and causing the push rod to rub the SIDE of the push rod slot in the head.


Oooh late for work so I'll make this quick.

Fle Pro gaskets.. I use em and like em


If you do 1.6s and dont modify the push rod slot you should check each push rod to slot clearance while turning the eng over. If you dont and they rub you will be putting metal filings in the oiling system. Gets VERY expensive later.
 

Falco

Donating Member
self aligning...

self aligning...

Thanks guys. Myclone. You are my man. I guess I'll go with 1.6 ratio self aligning ones. Do you have a part numbers for these too? I'll also get the tool from JEG's which you suggested in an other post a prepare my pushrods.

Thanks,
 

Falco

Donating Member
What do ya mean? I'm still using the stock cam, so I don't think that 1.6 rockers make a big difference. I just want to freshen up my valve train a bit, and don't expect big gains here. So I'll tune it as allways...

Peace,
 
Top