Turbosssssssssss

BigAl...

Member
I know PTE makes a great turbo and it fits our trucks perfectly BUT has anyone done any research on other turbos (NOMEX jacket on) I just spoke at length with the guys at Turbonetics and they have a few options for us, like a T3/T4 60-1 w/stage 5 .82 exh which cost $830 and flows 824CFM. I know this turbo won't bolt up but for that price I can buy a good quality ext WG like a Tial or an HKS and have the stock manifold modified to accept the T3 housing and still be cheaper than PTE or I could buy a set of atr headers and have a T3 flange welded and be around the same price as a PTE setup. I have absolutely nothing against PTE I'm just on a very small budget and I'm trying to get the most for my money.

All opinions are welcome (I wait with the fire exstinguisher in hand)

BigAl...
 

smeagol

Active member
You won't get flamed for going with something other than PTE, it's just that nothing else will bolt up easily, or is tailored for the trucks.

For you to get that $830 turbo to fit, you'll have to machine the downpipe or make a new downpipe, then if you wanted to use the external wastegate you have to pay $300-400 for that, plus labor to hook that up, then some sort of boost control for it.

So add it up:
$830 turbo
$350 wastegate (conservative)
$300 labor and parts if you want to make a 3" downpipe and have everything fit (this is very conservative as well - go check pricing on stainless)

back at about $1500 or so eh? So now, will your stock oil fittings fit? Did your fabricator leave enough room for your passenger side plugs? Uh oh, 6 months later, now you want headers, that labor you spend on that wastegate on the crossover is useless, since you will have a new crossover on the headers.

Other notes - the PTE exhaust housing is better than most of the T3 housings out there - you can't really machine anything on the stock exhaust manifolds, as they are cast iron (you can, but kinda worthless).

So NO, you aren't the first one down this road. It's just that for a truck with bolt ons, the PTE setup is going to be hard to beat. Go see what most of the modified Buicks (11-12 second range) use in their cars. Basic Garrett turbos by PTE/Limit Engineering/ etc etc, with Terry Houston style downpipes. Most are going to PTE exhaust housings.

If you want true bang for the buck, the Mitsu 20g stuff can work, but if you are going to want to go faster down the road, it will hold you back; no 3" downpipe, limited HP support, the bad boost control characteristics of the Mitsu's (IMO).

I'm only a fan of the PTE setup because it is an easy bolt on, that doesn't cause the fitment nightmares of fabrication. Easy boost control, especially if you are going to follow a build that I can provide a chip program for, and good performance.

If you want to do a custom Garrett setup, call up Mike. He's done several that have turned out very well, and knows what parts you'd need, and can give you solid pricing. He'll know pretty much what your truck needs, especially over any Turbonetics rep.
 

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
Brian made some excellent points. Pretty much the same thing I recommend to customers 90% of the time. I have sold ALOT of the PTE kits, because it is a true bolt on, and the quality is excellent.

If you are up to fabricating your own setup, then more power to you. If you have the tools, skills, and knowldege then go for it. Turbonetics definately has NO CLUE about our trucks.

There is alot more to a proper turbo setup then just a good price. If you want that particular turbo, I will beat their price.
 
N

NicktheQuick

Guest
Heh I am new here. I am from the DSM crowd and have been doing research on turbos for my car and others. Since the SyTy's use a mitsu turbo the upgrades are simular. I have come across two turbos that might interest you.

One is a hybrid. It is a Garret compressor wheel and housing mated to a mitsu center section and turbine side. The one I saw had a H3 compressor wheel with a TA housing. The hot side was a clipped TD06H. The turbo flowed 800 cfm I believe. The best part is that the turbo was to be a BOLT-ON!! No custom ANYTHING!!! It was retailing for around $925.

The Second was a "BOLT-ON" garret turbo. IT was avaiable in any combination that you could think of. 60-1 with the stage 5 turbine wheel. I was not sure of the exhaust a/r. How it is a bolt on is the turbine housing is a mitsu unit that has been machined to accept the garret center section and turbine wheel. The retail on them started around $1100. There was some custom work to the install, like the oil and coolant lines would have to be adapted to the garret style (compared to the mitsu). It is nothing a trip to the auto parts store would not take care of.. I would think. But the stock or upgraded downpipes would fit.

These combinations would give more flow than a 20G upgrade with better throttle response.

If you would be interested email me at flick61@hotmail.com and I can pass you all the info I have on these turbos. Later.
 
Top