turbo astro van

gary sy

New member
has any one ever put a sy/ty motor in a awd astro van? i have no idea why but i was just thinking about it seems like it would be a real sleeper.
 

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!
Re: turbo astro van

I don't see why not, but Astro's are even more cramped than S-series are. Getting to the distributor is fairly easy though...everything else not so much.
 

gary sy

New member
Re: turbo astro van

ya i owned a astro in the 90's it sucked to work on but i just wonder if the motor would fit?:dunno:
 

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!
Re: turbo astro van

I don't see why not, however things could get tight on the turbo side, and you'd have to get really creative with an air intake system to avoid any restrictions. IIRC the round air cleaner and upper intake are around the same height, so no worries there. Space underneath for the x-over shouldnt be an issue either, they're pretty roomy in that regard.
 

QuinnSY

Donating Member
Re: turbo astro van

I have thought of this idea as the ultimate snow van that should whoop on BMW X5's and Porsche Cayane, Heres someone concept art that really makes me want to do this, and an astro with a turbo kit. I think you would have to do a rear mount turbo due to lack of space. I was pretty serious about starting this, but decent 1990 to 1994 AWD Safaris are quite hard to find... Maybe one day!:tup:


turbo astro http://gregoryusa.net/astro/turbo/
gmcmonsoon.jpg


I found a company to build the body kit, but I would need to find 10 buyers, or buy 10 myself to sell before they would start. SOMEBODY DO THIS! :myclone:
 

blackty

Active member
Re: turbo astro van

I had asked this some years ago. The main downfall was the downpipe by the doghouse. But ceramic coating and/or wrapping should keep the heat down. Go for it. Still in the back of my mind...Jim
 

13.robb

New member
Re: turbo astro van

Not to get off topic, If you check youtube, there are quite a few sbc astro's on there. They seem like they can haul the mail. One is titled "haulin astro" Kinda cool for a minivan i suppose.
 

gary sy

New member
Re: turbo astro van

Monsoon i like that but dam i though i came up with the idea . the old thread diddant show pics any one have any old pics of the finished van?:tup::tup:
 

qtf545

New member
Re: turbo astro van

I would love to turbo my GMC Safari, but it would mean too much down time for the work vehicle. There was one guy here in Queens, NY that installed a turbo, but it was mounted in the rear. I think that would mean way too much turbo lag, but worthy of a thought or two.
 
Top