Tuning out knock. Help needed.

jaystcb

Sy 0902, 92Ty 0909
stock motor. 20g turbo. 3bar map. Forge WGA (solenoid bypassed). PLX WB (only 1 O2), rebuilt suspension. solid motoro mounts. California 91 Gas TunerProRT v5. Started with Starter bin.

This truck has been my daily driver since 2011. I first started tuning it in 2012. After I got the F29X map dialed in I was getting knock at 7LB of boost. So at the time it was easier for me to set the boost to 7 and manually lower the timing until I was not reading any knock on TP. I drove the truck around every day for 5 years like that with no knock.

Then...
Last year I had the cat changed. That is when I started getting over boost. Also. I started getting what I thought was false knock. I rebuilt the front end and installed solid motor mounts. Knock was reduced. I set the timing to 0tdc with a piston stop (knock increased). Then I noticed the upper intercooler was leaking into the TB. I just replaced that. As far as the over boost issue. I was talked into getting a forge WG and bypassed the solinoid. That helped.

But...
With the WGA set at anything above 0LB of boost. I get knock.
With the WGA set at 0LB of boost. My truck runs good at 14.7 a/f all the way up to 80mph. After 80mph under throttle with boost gage at 0 I get knock.

So... I’m not sure where to start. Should I back off the boost multiplier to get more fuel under 0 and above boost so the truck will stop knocking or should I start dorking with the F1 timing map and try to adjust it from there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you you in advance.
 

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
If I am reading your post correctly. Are you are pushing the throttle down towards the floor and getting 14.7 AFR? I think you will want your AFR to be richer than 14.7. On my Ty under boost. I run about 11.00 AFR with alky.

You could test and see if making it richer helps. I won't suggest a AFR for you to try. Because I am not sure. But if you are at around 14.7 at heavy throttle or WOT you are way to lean. Work into it slowly before you start adding boost or WOT.

First save your current bin before changing anything. That way you have the tune you started with in case your adjusting gets way off. You should also save the bins as you adjust the tune. So you can go back to one if those tunes if your later tunes get way off.
 

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
I posted a reply earlier. But it is held for admin. approval. It picked up as spam. If I read your post correctly. and you are getting AFR of 14.7 at hard or WOT. You are running way to lean.
 

WyoSyclone

Active member
If you want to send me your latest bin and some logs, I can help you out. Send to Rob at...... wyosyclone @ comcast.net .... remove the extra spaces around the @ symbol.
 

jaystcb

Sy 0902, 92Ty 0909
Was using TPrt5. Right now. I changed over to TPrt4 so I can utilize autotune. I believe I got everything setup properly. I am going to try and make a log today. We will see what happens. Thank you guys for your help. I post the results.
 

WyoSyclone

Active member
jaystcb;n1861180 said:
Was using TPrt5. Right now. I changed over to TPrt4 so I can utilize autotune. I believe I got everything setup properly. I am going to try and make a log today. We will see what happens. Thank you guys for your help. I post the results.

You can still use TPRTV5.... under "preferences" in TP there is a setting for 'reversing rows', or 'reversing columns'.... just reverse the rows and everything will match up.
 
Top