Tuner Pro Issue

Rambo'sTy

Member
I now have some more free time. So I was planning taking another crack at tuning the pile of metal I call my Truck. But it seems like every time I try to work on something something else breaks. This is getting terribly annoying.
So I thought I would do one post about all the problems.

First when I open tuner pro, the parameter tree stays blank. I have tried re installing the application and resetting my computer. But so far nothing has helped.

Second the ALDL cable and my laptop are not communicating with each other. The tuner pro application just says "DA: Connecting"

Finally, the truck will not run at close to 1000 rpm. It stumbles really bad and then dies. I think this is a cap and rotor issue.


If anyone could help me on one or all of these I would be so thankful,
 

SY-1193

Active member
Last edited:

Rambo'sTy

Member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Thanks, yes I am on a turbotweak chip. That link was so helpful. I got the truck to connect to the laptop. But the Parameter is still blank in the tunerpro application. Anyone encounter this problem with tuner pro?

I think the missing might be the cap and rotor. Anyone encounter something similar to this?

Thanks for your help SY-1193,
 

SY-1193

Active member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Thanks, yes I am on a turbotweak chip. That link was so helpful. I got the truck to connect to the laptop. But the Parameter is still blank in the tunerpro application. Anyone encounter this problem with tuner pro?

I think the missing might be the cap and rotor. Anyone encounter something similar to this?

Thanks for your help SY-1193,

Your question about the "Parameter" still being blank..
You would need an .XDF file to make that active.
The PARAMETER TREE would be used for making changes if you were doing your own tuning i.e. Code58, Code59 to make changes to the .BIN (binary programming on the chip) You purchased a pre programmed chip that should match your injector size and any other options you picked.

Since you have a purchased chip you would make changes by changing the dials on the chip or by the gas pedal DEPENDING ON THE VERSION you have. READ THE DIRECTIONS for the chip on the last pages of the directions there are procedures how to do this. You use Tunerpro to log and use the readings in the logs to adjust these parameters...again all in the directions.

Link to DIRECTIONS <-click here and pick the version you have (Version 1 has no selector knobs. Version 2 has selector knobs compare the pictures to what you have.)

Also there is a Turbo Tweak Section on here too and the Forum for help @ TurboTweak.

As far as the "missing" you are speaking of sounds like you need an ignition tune up (you even suggested that). Replace the cap/rotor and check everything else plug wires~ replace them if they ohm out bad or they are old, and inspect every inch of them for cracks, chafing or arcing marks. Check the plugs too. Yearly thing, and basic maintenance a chip won't fix. This "missing" also could be a bad or going bad fuel pump you really have to put a gauge on the fuel rail shrader valve and re check it where it stumbles at the 1000rpm mark. Sometimes you have to drive with the gauge where you can see it to check it. Checking it at idle doesn't always show that it is bad or going bad.
 
Last edited:

Rambo'sTy

Member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Your question about the "Parameter" still being blank..
You would need an .XDF file to make that active.
The PARAMETER TREE would be used for making changes if you were doing your own tuning i.e. Code58, Code59 to make changes to the .BIN (binary programming on the chip) You purchased a pre programmed chip that should match your injector size and any other options you picked.

Since you have a purchased chip you would make changes by changing the dials on the chip or by the gas pedal DEPENDING ON THE VERSION you have. READ THE DIRECTIONS for the chip on the last pages of the directions there are procedures how to do this. You use Tunerpro to log and use the readings in the logs to adjust these parameters...again all in the directions.

Link to DIRECTIONS <-click here and pick the version you have (Version 1 has no selector knobs. Version 2 has selector knobs compare the pictures to what you have.)

Also there is a Turbo Tweak Section on here too and the Forum for help @ TurboTweak.

As far as the "missing" you are speaking of sounds like you need an ignition tune up (you even suggested that). Replace the cap/rotor and check everything else plug wires~ replace them if they ohm out bad or they are old, and inspect every inch of them for cracks, chafing or arcing marks. Check the plugs too. Yearly thing, and basic maintenance a chip won't fix. This "missing" also could be a bad or going bad fuel pump you really have to put a gauge on the fuel rail shrader valve and re check it where it stumbles at the 1000rpm mark. Sometimes you have to drive with the gauge where you can see it to check it. Checking it at idle doesn't always show that it is bad or going bad.



THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!
That is exactly what I needed. The Parameter tree thing. I totally didn't even think that because I have the turbo tweak chip that would effect it. I can adjust it based on the chip. I have done that before.

The missing.... I am going to do the ignition tune up this weekend. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
 

SY-1193

Active member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

I replace my cap/rotor every year. I just consider it yearly maintenance and I do the other checks. I recommend you buy a brass terminal cap too. They hold up better.
 

Rambo'sTy

Member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Thank you for the help!!!!!
I will be replacing it asap. I need to. It has been there since before the rebuild. AKA too long.
A brass terminal cap. I will look into getting one. Is it pretty similar in price?

I am so happy. All of my questions right now have been answered.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!
 

SY-1193

Active member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Thank you for the help!!!!!
I will be replacing it asap. I need to. It has been there since before the rebuild. AKA too long.
A brass terminal cap. I will look into getting one. Is it pretty similar in price?

I am so happy. All of my questions right now have been answered.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Brass is more $$ usually, but the aluminum terminal ones seem to corrode so fast I don't even consider them an option for myself anyway.

No problem.
Not twisting your arm or forcing you to it...but here is a link to a vendor that sells our parts.
He is here on this forum also.
One advantage to this is he has exactly what you would be looking for all indexed easy for you and it is easy to find the right part if you are not inclined to looking everything up yourself or finding it local for yourself. Hood Tuned Performance look under ignition/electrical tab.
One thing of note: I believe this is a part time/side job for him so be patient. This is the case with most of the vendors here serving our "Niche" of trucks.
 

Rambo'sTy

Member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Brass is more $$ usually, but the aluminum terminal ones seem to corrode so fast I don't even consider them an option for myself anyway.

No problem.
Not twisting your arm or forcing you to it...but here is a link to a vendor that sells our parts.
He is here on this forum also.
One advantage to this is he has exactly what you would be looking for all indexed easy for you and it is easy to find the right part if you are not inclined to looking everything up yourself or finding it local for yourself. Hood Tuned Performance look under ignition/electrical tab.
One thing of note: I believe this is a part time/side job for him so be patient. This is the case with most of the vendors here serving our "Niche" of trucks.



Sick. I'm gonna try the brass stuff. Is this what you are talking about?

http://hoodtuned.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=89

I'm fine with spending the money as long as the stuff works. And will last a bit.
Will these plugs work with vortec heads?
 

SY-1193

Active member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Sick. I'm gonna try the brass stuff. Is this what you are talking about?

http://hoodtuned.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=89

I'm fine with spending the money as long as the stuff works. And will last a bit.
Will these plugs work with vortec heads?

I have to clarify when you say "VORTEC" heads that you actually have them. Many people think our trucks came with vortec's. Have your heads been replaced? (I think this is your case) do you have a modified lower intake? I just want to make sure you don't have lb4's and think they are vortec's. There is a difference in plugs. You want a TR6 probably for your application they are a little longer for the vortec's. Maybe you could contact him about the plugs in the package price (UR6's) swapping them to the TR6 you need for vortecs.There is a phone number in the gray area at the top of his sight.

_______________________________________________

All this info is available on this site I suggest you SEARCH. I know the search doesn't work so good but I use GOOGLE and type in syty.net and then a space and what I am looking for and I usually can find what I am looking for. (syty.net vortec plugs for a search entry) Try that, I am spoiling you just feeding you answers not that I mind it but not every time will you get a response here and it is good to look for yourself.
 

Rambo'sTy

Member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Yes I do actually have Vortec heads. I cracked the rings on piston number 6. So I pulled the motor and had the compression raised, forged internals and port matched vortec heads. I did all that last summer. The truck ran good for a while. But now with the alky I need to fine tune the truck. I am so glad I waited for the vortec heads. They make a huge difference.

Thank you for all your help. I know usually I won't get responses this fast. I am so thankful for the help. I was so close to selling the truck. I have been doing the research on my own for a while.
Thank you for all your help.
 

SY-1193

Active member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Yes I do actually have Vortec heads. I cracked the rings on piston number 6. So I pulled the motor and had the compression raised, forged internals and port matched vortec heads. I did all that last summer. The truck ran good for a while. But now with the alky I need to fine tune the truck. I am so glad I waited for the vortec heads. They make a huge difference.

Thank you for all your help. I know usually I won't get responses this fast. I am so thankful for the help. I was so close to selling the truck. I have been doing the research on my own for a while.
Thank you for all your help.

again no problem glad to help.

IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR YOU....
Do you have a TurboTweak Velosyty chip that has the ALKY option?????

There is a difference in the fuel tables for ALKY!

Once you can log and save a log .xdl file you may want to contact Eric Marshall in the TurboTweak section here or his Forum and ask him take a look at what you have going on in your logs for some piece of mind.
 

Rambo'sTy

Member
Re: Tuner Pro Issue

Thanks for checking....

Yes I have tried MSD and Taylor wires. Neither of which have I been impressed with.
So I am trying to figure out what wires you guys are using.
Because I am tired of replacing wires.
 
Top