transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

djwaggoner

New member
A few months ago I had to drive w/ an off-sized spare tire. Since then, the truck acts like it has a 4WD instead of an AWD case, bucking in tight turns and tire-slipping...understeers a LOT.
I 'spect I've cooked the viscous clutch. Shouldn't the front or rear wheels turn independently from the other end? I've read of guys' trucks rolling in park w/ the front propshaft out. Mine's LOCKED.
Where is the best source for the viscous clutch? Are they all the same for these cases?
Thanks,
David
 

gmcturbo

Active member
Re: transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

the viscous clutches are so expensive its just better to buy a whole used ontransfercase. i found one on here a while ago when i fragmented mine..
 

skata

Donating Member
Re: transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

http://www.drivetrain.com/





GM SYCLONE, TYPHOON1991-1993DTS100BW1372 BW447227 spline rear output 4.13 front input mounting flange 4.5" front output circulare yokeIncludes new viscous coupler
$850.52



$250.00 core


​
 

djwaggoner

New member
Re: transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

YIKES!! (or equivalent profanity...)

Thanks SKATA, I have bookmarked the site, but sure hope I don't have to cough up $850 + $250 for a transfer case... :(
 

crazykaese

91ProtoTy/IndyPaceTribute & Sawzall Master
Re: transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

I have a spare xfer case out of a 50k mile wrecked Syclone I want to sell. $300 plus shipping from Trenton NJ and it's yours. It's undamaged from the wreck and all cleaned up nice and ready to go. Let me know soon if you want it.
 

Loeryder

New member
Re: transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

Sy and Ty cases are different.
Output splines wont match up from one to the other.
 

djwaggoner

New member
Re: transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

Yeah, I thought I read that on here...
I could switch the driveshaft yoke, tho' if it's still available.
Is there any real difference in strength??
TNX
 

Loeryder

New member
Re: transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

Ty case is supposedly stronger.
I have read somehwere that the Sy had a 3 gear planetary and the Ty had 4.

Should be able to correct the driveshaft problem jsut by swapping front yokes of the driveshafts.
 

djwaggoner

New member
Re: transfer case viscous clutch cooked?

Thanks Jason,
crazykaese, do u have the front yoke for the driveshaft?
That could work...
 
Top