Transfer Case r&r question

red_shift

New member
Can anyone comment on the feasability of r&r the tc with the ty on jackstands? Anything I should be aware of not covered in the manual- hopefully the engine/tranny can stay intact and the TC slips off nicely. Any comments appreciated...Thanks, Cornell
 

bezerk

New member
Re: Transfer Case r&r question

you can drop the transfer case easlily without removing anything else.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: Transfer Case r&r question

the torque converter cannot easily be swapped without removing the xcase first. I just dont think it will move back far enough to get the thing off and on again. it might be possible but I just don't think it will work.
 

sy1907

SYCOTIC
Re: Transfer Case r&r question

If you're talking r&r the xcase without moving the engine/tranny, easy as cake. 1. Put front on jack stands. 2. remove rear drive shaft. 3. remove prop shaft, putting truck in neutral to reach bolts. This is why you took out the rear drive shaft first, so you can spin the front tires. 4. unbolt xcase and tranny, unhook electrical connector on top of xcase and slide her out. I don't think you have to remove the cross brace either. Any q's, just ask, we'll be here if they aren't too dumb:D
 

0966Sy

Code what?
Re: Transfer Case r&r question

jwaller said:
the torque converter cannot easily be swapped without removing the xcase first. I just dont think it will move back far enough to get the thing off and on again. it might be possible but I just don't think it will work.

I've done it 4 times on jackstands lying on the garage floor.... Not "easy" but easier than removing the tranfercase also to change just the TC, adding more time to your job. The tranfer case will rest on top of the torision bar crossmember quite nicely.
 

red_shift

New member
Re: Transfer Case r&r question

Thanks for the replies; I suppose I'll ask more q's once it is out. Got a remanufactured unit located in Las vegas but may attack it once out.
Cornell
 
Top