Transfer case ? after search.

SY2455

70's Veteran
My father in law has a 2001 Oldsmobile Bravada with the Smart-trak transfer case. Has anyone play with this transfer case at all? It seems like it would be a trick set up for our truck, if it would work.
 

'JustDreamin'

Dream: 6LV8 Turbo Bravada
Re: Transfer case ? after search.

It can be made to work. I think somebody on here did a swap.

The late model Bravada's run the NV136. This is an "Active-On-Demand" transfer case that utilizes a computer controlled clutch pack to send power to the front axle. It does not have any differential action (like the Sy/Ty tcase).

The sticky wicket portion of putting the NV136 in is that it is computer controlled, which means you've either got to swap in the computer (and all associated wiring) or figure out how to control the box (custom controller / toggle switch / I dunno what). Needless to say, that makes it a bit more complicated. And, to make things even more difficult, there isn't all that much information available about the electronics portion of it.

'JustDreamin'
 
Re: Transfer case ? after search.

Yeah and id be willing to get its hooked into the ABS so it knows when to transfer power and if your truck has had the ABS removed, than its probably a no go.

Also what do you mean by no diff action like the stock syty tcase???
 

Robert Lone

MUTANT
Re: Transfer case ? after search.

Also what do you mean by no diff action like the stock syty tcase???
__________________
Mike


"Viscious" clutch maybe???
 

Robert Lone

MUTANT
Re: Transfer case ? after search.

I think John is running a full size GM t-case w/ push button 4wd now so hew can do a rear wheel burnout before a run.
 

'JustDreamin'

Dream: 6LV8 Turbo Bravada
Re: Transfer case ? after search.

HotRodV6 said:
Also what do you mean by no diff action like the stock syty tcase???

There is no differential action.

The BW4472 with the viscous coupling has some amount of differential action. Meaning the front axle can run faster than the rear axle (as in a corner) while still in 4wd (since it can't turn the front end on and off, its always on).

The NV136 is basically a normal 4x4 box with a clutch added to the front output shaft, allowing the transfer case to turn the front output shaft on as needed. There is no way for the front axle to run faster than the rear with the clutch locked up. What that means is that if you are operating it under the correct circumstances for the tcase to lock and turn tight, sometimes you get that 4wd bucking sensation (most often felt in parking situations).

Also, the NV136 uses a special fluid (not ATF) with friction modifiers. Its blue and only available from GM. This is GM's attempt to keep the 4wd bucking to a minimum.


As far as controls go, I think the transfer case has its own standalone computer (TCM) but have no idea what inputs it is using. Might be ABS stuff, might be completely seperate from ABS and only rely on speed sensors for input, front output shaft, and rear output shaft.

'JustDreamin'
 

'JustDreamin'

Dream: 6LV8 Turbo Bravada
Re: Transfer case ? after search.

I've got the tq ratings of selected NV boxes in my project book at home. I'll look it up & post it up.

I haven't seen any concrete rating information on the BW4472 tcase. I've heard 1500 ft-lbs, but don't have any documentation to back that up.

'JustDreamin'
 

Hotwire

typhoon wanna be +2 cyl
Re: Transfer case ? after search.

not to whore your thread, BUT, the project truck I purchased had a nv136 installed in it. Didn't come with any harnesses or computer, just the case and the front shaft. I also have the coupling that matched the case to a 4x4 4l60-e. The truck is an 85 and doesn't have the wheel sensors up front for abs and I'm not interested in doing all the extra work to it. I'm trying to sell it if you're looking for one.
 

SY2455

70's Veteran
Re: Transfer case ? after search.

Thank guys, but after reading this thread I going to past on this one.
 
Top