Tranny part #'s

Rudysrudy

New member
I know i saw a list on here with the part numbers someone used to rebuild there tranny, i tryed to search but nothin comes up. So if someone has a like to that post or somthing that could help me out it would be great.
Thanks
Scott
 
B

Blake

Guest
The ONLY part you want to steer clear from if you update your 2-4 servo lineup is the Fairbanks 4th gear servo. The Fairbanks 2nd servo is cool. If you go with a 4th gear upgrade also, do the Sonnax dual servo unit.
Blake
 

myclone

Donating Member
Blake said:
The ONLY part you want to steer clear from if you update your 2-4 servo lineup is the Fairbanks 4th gear servo. The Fairbanks 2nd servo is cool. If you go with a 4th gear upgrade also, do the Sonnax dual servo unit.
Blake

Can you elaborate on all the above a little? ie: why stay away from this but do that etc etc. Im doing a syty 700R4 parts/info gathering and rebuild right now so any info would be appreciated.

TIA
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
first off the fairbanks piece is a POS. nothing but sticking problems.....secondly the 4th gear servo to have is the sonnax one. and third I have never seen a truck that with a properly built trans "needs" a 4th gear servo.

the stock 4th gear servo is perfectly fine. I've built several 11sec trans and a few 10 sec units that didn't need um..

but if you must spend that $75 then get the sonnax one. and BTW you can't install the sonnax 4th gear servo while the trans is installed. I've tried, even with the motor out it still will not go in....it's huge and for some it may contact the floorboard and cause false knock problems.
 

myclone

Donating Member
jwaller said:
first off the fairbanks piece is a POS. nothing but sticking problems.....secondly the 4th gear servo to have is the sonnax one. and third I have never seen a truck that with a properly built trans "needs" a 4th gear servo.

the stock 4th gear servo is perfectly fine. I've built several 11sec trans and a few 10 sec units that didn't need um..

but if you must spend that $75 then get the sonnax one. and BTW you can't install the sonnax 4th gear servo while the trans is installed. I've tried, even with the motor out it still will not go in....it's huge and for some it may contact the floorboard and cause false knock problems.

Thanks wally world..


BTW... You'll be hearing from me on this trans rebuild thingy ya know.. You cant hide!!!! :p :D
 
B

Blake

Guest
John is absolutely right. The Fairbanks 4th gear servo is junk. I have only put it in 2 trannies(mine and Jesse's). It stuck in both of them. Jesse's wouldn't go into 4th after a while and mine would go into 4th(delayed)but then had trouble releasing.

Right now I am using the stock 4th apply and I am having no problems with 4th.

If you do use the Sonnax unit, the problems go WAAAAY beyond false knock. The unit is so large(sticks out of the case so far), that during the 1-2 shift, the servo hits the floor pan. This puts extra force on the 2-4 band and will punch right through the lip that the pin pushes on resulting in no fourth or 4th that "neutrals out" under slight addition of throttle. If you must use this unit, bang the floor away from area around the servo cover or cut the floor and glass in/weld in new metal that arcs up away from it.

The big thing is 2nd apply and 3rd apply. If you build the input according to the new design and use Alto Reds, 3rd will apply like a hammer.
HTH,
Blake
 

Hu Ryde

Donating Member
Here it is:

Servo1.jpg

SuperServo.jpg


Like George said, You will most likely have a no 4th or similar problem. I do have to say it's 1 hell of a shift to 2nd with it though. All it needs is to go back to the drawing board and fix the sticking/release problem. I think that if they sold the shaft with it it would be no problem, or more less the whole unit complete instead of 2 parts that use some stock original pieces that have to be modified to work correctly. If it were one unit complete made to put in and everything the right sizes it would be a awesome piece. But in it's form now it's a POS until it's updated.
 

Wes

Donating Member
Well... you can but you have to cut a half circle in the sheetmetal where the servo is and bend the metal back to get it to fit. I ended up having to do this (really didn't want to drop the trans down after putting it in). Then bend the sheetmetal back into place and you'll never know the difference.


jwaller said:
and BTW you can't install the sonnax 4th gear servo while the trans is installed. I've tried, even with the motor out it still will not go in....it's huge and for some it may contact the floorboard and cause false knock problems.
 
Top