tranfer case or prop shaft?

Reboosted

New member
OK got a clicking noise under heavy acceleration. Does not do it while turning. While I was trying to diagnose a highway speed vibration, I put a set of 315/35-17s on the rear (w-stock size on front) the clicking showed up on very light acceleration. I put the stock rears back on and the clicking went back to only on heavy accel. I did search a search and am kind of leaning towards a stretched transfer case chain. Am I on the right track? I know where a square body bravada is and was thinking of grabbing the prop shaft and x-case if its the right one. If its not the right one or I decide to mess with the stocker, how hard is it to replace the chain in these?
 

DOUG87GN

New member
Re: tranfer case or prop shaft?

Don't know if this will help but I had a problem with different sized tires. I had all the same size but different brand tires front and back. There was enough of a difference in the size between manufactures that it put it in a bind. I tore cv shafts out as soon as it would hit 2nd gear. After 2 shafts I took it to the dealer who put a shaft in that I tore out in less than a block, finally figured it out and no problems since. Maybe look into cv shaft as well they make alot of noise.
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: tranfer case or prop shaft?

The first time my stock propshaft went out on me it made clicking noises before hand... I honesty would suggest removing your propshaft and drive it around a bit. It's not hard to do or time consuming plus it'll help pin point your issue.
 

Reboosted

New member
Re: tranfer case or prop shaft?

If I took the shaft out would it take enough of the load off the chain to make it not click. I have kumhos all around on the stock wheels, and it only clicks under heavy acceleration with them. Guess I could put the 315s (michelin) back on when I pull the shaft and see what happens. The bravada I want to get the xcase from still has its shaft too. Thanks for your input.
 
Top