Top End Cleaner

Carnut16

New member
I just bought some top end cleaner and was wondering what the best way to remove the upper intercooler was. Also, have any of you used top end cleaner? If so, did you notice any difference in the way you truck ran? Also, After I get done, do I have to change the plugs and oil? The reason I ask is because I just got done with an oil change and a tune-up. I would really not do either one again right now; especially change the plugs.
 

ParTyBoy

New member
Yeah..unfortunately from what I know you do have to change the plugs and oil after you use the cleaner.... I'm about to use the stuff myself.. Just got my truck back today.. need to wait on a set of plug wires from KB...
 

Carnut16

New member
That really sucks. I don't have a problem doing the oil change, but the plugs are the problem. I'm still going to school, so the only time I have to work on it is after school. The last time I changed my plugs, it took me two days, working on it after school. Not only that, but it took up room in my dad's warehouse for those two days. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until this summer to use it.
 

ParTyBoy

New member
On 2002-03-27 18:05, Carnut16 wrote:
That really sucks. I don't have a problem doing the oil change, but the plugs are the problem. I'm still going to school, so the only time I have to work on it is after school. The last time I changed my plugs, it took me two days, working on it after school. Not only that, but it took up room in my dad's warehouse for those two days. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until this summer to use it.

whoa ..shouldn't take that long
just jack up the truck... take off the wheels and the front fenderwells... should be pretty quick considering the plugs are pretty new... Any list members that are close that could give you a hand??

_________________
pimp1.jpg


<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ParTyBoy on 2002-03-27 18:13 ]</font>
 

KGB Pilot125

New member
whoa ..shouldn't take that long
just jack up the truck... take off the wheels and the front fenderwells... should be pretty quick considering the plugs are pretty new... Any list members that are close that could give you a hand??

you shouldnt have to remove any tires or fenderwells. last time I did it and it was only my second time it took about 30 minutes. jsut jack it up and go in through the flaps in the fenderwell. do the turbo side last since its the easiest.
 

Carnut16

New member
No, not really. I live in Jax, FL. Most of the FAST guys live near Tampa. However, I might be able to get some of my friends in the local truck club to give me a hand one day.
 

ParTyBoy

New member
On 2002-03-27 18:44, KGB Pilot125 wrote:
whoa ..shouldn't take that long
just jack up the truck... take off the wheels and the front fenderwells... should be pretty quick considering the plugs are pretty new... Any list members that are close that could give you a hand??

you shouldnt have to remove any tires or fenderwells. last time I did it and it was only my second time it took about 30 minutes. jsut jack it up and go in through the flaps in the fenderwell. do the turbo side last since its the easiest.

True... I'm just used to taking the fenders off.. personal prefference I guess.. get to have a good look at the bay while I'm at it..
 

Syclone#892

Member
Hey Carnut16 do you know anyone is the rcst club. I bought Matt Baygents Sy, he is the pres in the club and he lives in orange park Fl. I am pretty sure he could help you out since he has done it before. If you want his email go to rcst.com and go to the bb and look for rcstprz and his email should be in there, if you talk to him tell him I said Hi.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Keep memorial day weekend open, your coimng down to orlando for the Big Annual FAST meet.

If you ever need a hand man, Im willing to help out. Pretty much the same for the rest of us.
 

Merk

Donating Member
On 2002-03-27 17:52, ParTyBoy wrote:
.. Just got my truck back today.. need to wait on a set of plug wires from KB...

Jamie,

Good luck getting wires from KB -- DISCONTINUED TIL FURTHER NOTICE

________
WENDIE 99
 
Last edited:

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
I very much doubt at this time the KB wires are Taylors.

They may be manufactured from taylor stock, but they are not off the shelf taylors for sure. The fact that they are dropping them may indicate either they arent recieving enough buisness to continue selling them or the manufactorer has stopped.

I think the link between KB and taylors is a weak one, althought they both do seem to work well.
 

kwick6

Donating Member
You must be talking about the spray type.
Have you changed the lines on your IC to rubber? If so, then no need to pull the hoses off, just the 3 bolts underneath.

It would be easier, IMHO to buy the "pour in" can and suck it in through a vacuum line.
 

Carnut16

New member
Yeah, as a matter of fact, RCST was the club I was talking about. How's Matt's old sy doin?

As for my intercooler hoses, they are all stock.

Reguarding the FAST meet, I can't go. I'm supposed to go camping and there is a girl I really want to meet up with that will be there. Let me know of any other meets that you guys are having. I'll have to make time to go to one. There is also a guy I know that owns three Ty's which might want to go to some meets also.

I also just got done ordering a set of silicone vacuum hoses from the GP, so I'll probably have some of the guys in RCST come help me do everything one day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carnut16 on 2002-03-28 15:19 ]</font>
 

Syclone#892

Member
Matt's Sy is doing good, I just got in on the gp for the Al Dustin front susp and I am doing a few other things that I will tell Matt about when I'm done. Good luck with your truck.
 

GM TURBO

Sell Out
I am going to try to bring this back to the subject at hand :smile:

Regarding the TEC (Top Engine Cleaner) - is the brake booster hose the best place to do this. My thoughts are it is more towards the rear of the intake, so are you going to get a decent amount of the good stuff to the front part of the intake and engine? I realize there might not be much of a choice as the brake booster is clearly the largest spot to pull from. Just wondering....

I have more questions - which I will address in another forum.
 

Daron

Active member
Thanks for rescuing this thread Dave. I did the top end cleaner like this:

I removed the brake boost hose from the intake and then popped on some extra hose I had laying around. I then used a vacuum line reducer that plugged into the other end of the big hose, which allowed me to attach a small line on the other end, for the "suck" part of the application. Then when the bottle was close to empty I removed my adapter from the large hose, and stuck a funnel in the end (helps to pinch the line if the truck starts to run rough or die), then just pour the remaining cleaner in the funnel and release your pinch, it should die shorty, and allow you to let the stuff "soak". If you dont have a reducer, just pop the funnel in the end of a length of hose and use the pinch method to modulate the amount of cleaner that makes it into the intake.
 

GM TURBO

Sell Out
Thanks Daron.

Is there any advantage to pulling the upper intake off to clean it? Mine has never been done like that in the 60K I have put on it. Actually, I have never run the TEC either. When I pulled my TB off for the spring cleaning I looked at the intake and it was very ugly. Would it be best to just pull the intake off and scrub it in addition to the TEC - or will the TEC be good enough?
 

Daron

Active member
On 2002-03-29 11:11, GM TURBO wrote:
Thanks Daron.

Is there any advantage to pulling the upper intake off to clean it? Mine has never been done like that in the 60K I have put on it. Actually, I have never run the TEC either. When I pulled my TB off for the spring cleaning I looked at the intake and it was very ugly. Would it be best to just pull the intake off and scrub it in addition to the TEC - or will the TEC be good enough?

Pulling the upper is not a bad idea, lots of area that the TEC won't hit. Plus you get to replace the upper to lower intake gasket that has been a problem for some. The TEC really is only meant to clean the combustion chamber, ridding it of carbon deposits, so if a clean intake is what you want, pulling the upper may benefit you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daron on 2002-03-29 11:19 ]</font>
 
Top