TCC Shudder?

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Well I just picked this truck up and after awhile I noticed a vibration while at speed. It actually happens after 35-40 mph. I have been searching like a mofo on vibrations and nobody had exactly the same problem. From what I can tell, it seems like I am getting positive lockup. But it only happens right after I feel it lockup. Truck is bone stock and has 59,000 miles. It seems to lessen at speeds over 70. As soon as I start to decel I can feel a little vibration again. Now I haven't checked the wheels and tires yet, but I talked to Steve-O on this board and the wheels are off his truck. He had no problems with them. The truck maybe had 20 miles on after the wheels were swapped onto it so I can't imagine something happened in that little time. The vibration is mostly the whole cab and not really in the steering wheel at all. I talked to him and he seemed to agree with me on the TCC but we are not positive. Any other experiences like this or any ideas? Thanks guys.
 

syco 2

New member
Re: TCC Shudder?

disconnect the tcc solenoid. do this for only a short time though or it will overheat your trans.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: TCC Shudder?

you dont have disconnect the TCC simply put your foot on the brake pedel very lightly and it will disengauge the TCC. the vibration should go and come with your foot action if it's true TCC shudder.
 

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: TCC Shudder?

Well I finally got around to figuring out the vibration on my truck so I am updating this for future searches. We took out the propshaft and I took it around the block. Vibration is gone. Gilbert here I come.
 

aaron97

Member
Re: TCC Shudder?

Mtn Z said:
Well I finally got around to figuring out the vibration on my truck so I am updating this for future searches. We took out the propshaft and I took it around the block. Vibration is gone. Gilbert here I come.
I have nearly the same problem. Are you sure its the propshaft? Or maybe just because now there is less work for the trany to do now that you've removed it? I ask because my Ty gets an odd vibration when only in overdrive at or above 45mph. It rarely happens when I am the only one in the truck, but whenever i have a passenger or two it happens all the time. If it starts to vibrate i can just give it a little more gas or slow down some and it will go away. It only seems to happen when cruising at a set speed in OD above 45mph, and more often when i have a passenger.
 

steve-o

Member
Re: TCC Shudder?

It was definitely the propshaft in Mtn Z's case. The truck was vibrating... we took the propshaft out... vibration gone. In your case it sounds like the torque converter. See the third post (by waller) and try that.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: TCC Shudder?

:2cents: Not that the drive-line isn't the problem. But I'm wondering it you can figure the frequency of the vibration. Engine speed vibration would/could be the drive-line or TC. A much slower vibration would be the tire/wheel combination which might indicate a lost wheel weight or something.:2cents:
 

aaron97

Member
Re: TCC Shudder?

jwaller said:
you dont have disconnect the TCC simply put your foot on the brake pedel very lightly and it will disengauge the TCC. the vibration should go and come with your foot action if it's true TCC shudder.
Okay, i did the break thing on the way to work today. As soon as i hit the brack the shudder went away, the went i let up it came back. So it the TCC huh... so whats next. I did a search to see how to change one or how much they cost but didnt come up with anything. SO whats the next step? Change the TCC or can it be re-rigged or something?
Don W. said:
:2cents: Not that the drive-line isn't the problem. But I'm wondering it you can figure the frequency of the vibration. Engine speed vibration would/could be the drive-line or TC. A much slower vibration would be the tire/wheel combination which might indicate a lost wheel weight or something.:2cents:
The speed of the vib is pretty fast, normally light, but once it was so hard it shook the ash tray out, but it only lasts a couple seconds. I do have a wheel weight missing and i can tell at speeds over 80mph but thats not very often. I dont plan to fix it cause i plan to get some vette wheels in the future.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: TCC Shudder?

remove the converter have it relined with a new clutch and reinstall.
 

aaron97

Member
Re: TCC Shudder?

jwaller said:
remove the converter have it relined with a new clutch and reinstall.
Would it just be cheaper to buy a new TC from B&M or TCI, they usually cost less than $300?
 

aaron97

Member
Re: TCC Shudder?

jwaller said:
it might be. normally a TC rebuild will cost $100-150.
Ya, I'm thinking if I'm going to spend $150 i might as well spend another $150 and upgrade now since i planned to in the future anyways. That way i dont waste money, which i seem to do alot when it comes to car parts. :roll: You know, buy this and then a few months later buy something that replaces it... I figure i'll just save up some more and do a complete trany rebuild or performance replacement once i have enough $.
 
Top