TC lockup questions.

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
I'm a newb on this TC lockup stuff.
squint.gif

I keep reading on TC lockup but can't find exactly what to do and if its worthwhile.
Am I correct that ECM does NOT lockup the TC at WOT?
If so then, on the 1/4 mile we should be locking the TC correct?
Where, or what, wires are switched to lock the TC?
If not at the starting line then when?
Anything else I should know?

TIA:tup:
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: TC lockup questions.

the ecm will comand lockup during WOT @72mph. you might gain a 0.1-0.2 sec on a stock truck in the 1/4 if you have no knock and the truck is running perfect. if not then it may or may not work for you. you just have to try it.

you connect the top left and top right ports of the ALDL to command lockup in all gears but 1st and reverse.

if it were me and you want to do the same thing as everybody else then stick a paperclip in the before mentioned ports and try it out your next time at the track.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: TC lockup questions.

Two for the price of one on that answer eh? Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: TC lockup questions.

I have a question,

When using the paper clip to lock the converter.. Does the paper clip have to remain present to keep the tc locked thru the quarter mile run(s)? Just wondering if I need to worry about a paper clip falling out on me when launching etc..

Or does it work to the point where it lock it with jumpering the two terminals.. then have to jump the two again to unlock?
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: TC lockup questions.

Haven't tried it yet but $ to a doughnut you leave it in...
 

mmp142965

say it like you spell it!
Re: TC lockup questions.

Would leaving the TC lock up engaged during normal driving have any adverse effects? It seems like you would get better gas mileage.
 

JSM

Active member
Re: TC lockup questions.

The tc will lock up above ~40mph stock anyways.

When you do lock it up for racing, you need to remove the jumper before you come to a stop. I prefer to shut it off before it downshifts personally.

It will not lock until you hit 2nd, but then will stay locked.
 

mmp142965

say it like you spell it!
Re: TC lockup questions.

JS Manufacturing said:
The tc will lock up above ~40mph stock anyways.
unfortunatly i spend a lot of time at 35-39 mph because I live in south florida. looks like it would be locked in 2nd and 3rd at 35 mph with the jumper as opposed to with out, so there may be some mpg gain. I'm not sure. There is no harm in doing this?
 

Hotwire

typhoon wanna be +2 cyl
Re: TC lockup questions.

Won't this burn the clutch in your torque converter up? I've always heard that this is a very bad thing to do. The clutch in the converter is not that big and isn't meant to hold wot runs + shifting.
 

JSM

Active member
Re: TC lockup questions.

That low of speed and low TPS will probably bog the motor and not be fun to drive for the VERY little gain you will see.

Better if you wanted to try is to adjust the chip. With an ostrich etc you can play with all kinds of things.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: TC lockup questions.

if you leave it in for normal driving it will not feel good, it will feel like a manuel trans thats in about 2 gears to high. use this for racing only and no it will not burn the clutch(it's meant to lockup thats what it's for) but it is hard on components so use the trick wisely.
 
Top