sprung a leak!!!!

Ok so it's a nice day out and I decide to treat the Sy to bath, after she's all perty'd up I decide to "air" dry it instead of towel dry it. I take her down the road and at about 85 MPH and 3/4 throttle I floor it. Well it down shifts, which it never has before at that speed. It was pulling hard and didn't redline so I didn't think anything about it. well when I get home I park it in the drive way to get the mail (anb show off to the neighbors) and as I pull it in the garage and get out I notice a puddle of trans fluid on the ground :rant: I didn't even look under the truck, I'll do that tomorrow when I get to work and can put it on the hoist, but do you guys have any idears on what to check??? Or do you think the higher rpms made it come out the vent tube? (I know wishfull thinking)
 

skata

Donating Member
Re: sprung a leak!!!!

dhorsman2000 said:
I'll do that tomorrow when I get to work and can put it on the hoist, (I know wishfull thinking)
i hope that you at least check the fluid level before driving it to work.:?
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: sprung a leak!!!!

What can happen doing what you did is that pressure can build and actually blow the dipstick out of the tube. This is why 93's actually have a locking dipstick. During a high speed 4-3, the pump is putting out high volume but if the pressure valve hasn't been modified, lube is not distributed like it should be. Pressure builds and has to come out somewhere. Main two places to look are the dipstick, and the passenger side of the trans. If it's there, it came out the vent on the top of the trans and ran down. Drive it easy for a while and make sure it's still shifting into 3rd like it's supposed to. Do not adjust the TV cable if it isn't. It will make the problem worse.
 
Re: sprung a leak!!!!

Thanks George, I just went out and checked and the dipstick is still snug as a bug :tup: So tomorrow I will let it run in the driveway before I head off to work and see if it is still leaking. If it is I'll get some fluid for the trip to work and then when I get there I will put her up on the hoist and see where she leaked from.....I think your right about the vent tube, or should I say HOPE your right, it did look like it was comiing from the pass side a bit.....
 
Re: sprung a leak!!!!

Well heres what went down, I got it to work just fine and put her up in the air. Well it is leaking from a cooler line :tdown: The line has aparently been rubing on the drag link, and for some time now :rant: So I put some rubber line in there for now (planed on doing some trans cooler work this summer) and we'll see how that goes :tup: Thanks George for the advice, I work on mostly imports all day long (BMW's, Jags, Mercedies, etc) but when it comes to trannies I've learned the hard way, its always nice to have a tranny guru in your corner :)
 
Top