slipping tranny.........

SnakeEater

Sleep Dog Racing
I was on my way home the other day when I had to come to a stop for traffic. After traffic went by, I made my turn onto my street when I noticed my tranny didnt want to upshift out of low gear, it took it up to about 3500rpm before it shifted into 2nd, but when it shifted, it was kinda like it just slid into 2nd, didnt have that jolt feeling...After in 2nd finially, I gave it alittle gas and the gear didn't seem like it grabbed at all, just slipped like a HoT clutch...didnt even get a chance to put it in 3rd....When parked, I can go through all my gears one at a time including reverse, and they are all there, but under load, low gear jumps like it did, but 2nd just slips.....Before I start hunting down a new tranny or even a rebuild, is there anything I can do or check to rule out the basics first....Tranny flush, adjustments, etc........Ive had this truck for about a year and right before I bought it, the gentleman I got it from just had it rebuilt with some high performance stuff, what, I dont know...I havent been hard on it and it was just basic driving that it started doing this in....

thanks in advance guys


Ryan
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: slipping tranny.........

Pressure readings always help to see where the problem is but it sounds like a 2-4 band issue or a servo issue. Servo doesn't usually go bad. If it was fine and then started acting up, the band most likely went out. Either the clutch material is burnt or the apply ridge is damaged. Not to discredit the guy you bought it from but I wouldn't count on "performance stuff" and it may have been abused...like most syty's are.
 

SnakeEater

Sleep Dog Racing
Re: slipping tranny.........

nice info, so, am I looking at removing the tranny then to fix??? not to sound stupid, I dont have a clue when it comes to trannys....How can I take pressure readings???
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: slipping tranny.........

300 psi gauge on the driver's side of the trans in a port there. Have to take out a plug. Removal of trans and replacement of the converter is mandatory if you want a warranty from anyone. You'll have to pull it to fix the band issue and by the time you do that, you can go ahead and do a rebuild. Most will even make you replace the cooler or use an inline filter.
 

SnakeEater

Sleep Dog Racing
Re: slipping tranny.........

I got a local here selling this tranny............will it work in my Ty, or what mods to it would I have to do to get it in....

"quote" THIS TRANSMISSION WAS BUILT BY ONE OF THE BEST
CERTIFIED G.M. BUILDERS IN FLA.IT HAS THE SHORT 4X4
TAIL SHAFT, IT WILL ONLY FIT IN A TRUCK. IF YOU WANT
HARD HITTING 700 R 4 TRANSMISSION,THIS IS IT. THIS
TRANSMISSION IS REMANUFACTORED, NEW KEVLAR WIDE BAND,
A POWER PACK CLUTCH SET OF 9 INSTED OF 6 CLUTCHS AND
METALS, BRASS THRUST WASHERS,HIGH PERFORMANCE ELEMENT
SPRAG,WITH HARDENED SUN SHELL GEAR, MASTER REBUILD
KIT, REBUILD FRONT PUMP WITH UPGRADED ROTOR TO 13
VAINS, AND A STAGE 3 SHIFT KIT, 3.06 1ST GEAR WITH A
500 BOOST VALVE AND A CORVETTE SERVO FOR HARD,
CLEAN,CRISP SHIFTS.SET UP FOR 675 H.P....

the price is cheap for the build and he has documention on everything....
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: slipping tranny.........

Your asking us to tell you if a transmission will work based on someone else's description. 700 4x4 configuration will work. Whether or not that's what it is, we don't know.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: slipping tranny.........

Just my opinion of his parts that was listed...I categorized them to what I think of them, I might be off one by a part.

A POWER PACK CLUTCH SET OF 9 INSTED OF 6 CLUTCHS AND
METALS MASTER REBUILD KIT, 3.06 1ST GEAR, BRASS THRUST WASHERS


Standard stuff

STAGE 3 SHIFT KIT,WITH A 500 BOOST VALVE AND A CORVETTE SERVO FOR HARD

No big deal

NEW KEVLAR WIDE BAND,,HIGH PERFORMANCE ELEMENT SPRAG,WITH HARDENED SUN SHELL GEAR

Your upgrades

REBUILD FRONT PUMP WITH UPGRADED ROTOR TO 13 VAINS

Most rebuilders consider this a downgrade.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: slipping tranny.........

I would just rebuild theone you got. But, if you decide to get a whole new unit I will buy your ashes from you.
 

SnakeEater

Sleep Dog Racing
Re: slipping tranny.........

George Blake said:
Your asking us to tell you if a transmission will work based on someone else's description. 700 4x4 configuration will work. Whether or not that's what it is, we don't know.


Well yea....That was the point of me putting that up there....


So, after talking with the guy I bought it from, he had the same problem when he had it...He told me to bring it to this shop and they will tighten the bands on the 2nd gear...temp fix but will get me rolling untill I can do a 4l80 or even a turbo350 swap.......


thanks
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: slipping tranny.........

The band isn't adjustable. Not sure why they say that. Some transmission do have an adjustable band. 700s do not. Good luck.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: slipping tranny.........

I know a guy who would probably be willing to trade a 400 for yours. It is built too.
 
Top