Shindig Carnage

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Seems this Shindig is not yet finished claiming trucks.

So far we have 3 blown trans (2 of them are catastrophic failures), a Silverado that got into a fight with a deer, and now 1 Sy sitting on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed with another possible trans failure...

Day isnt over yet....
 

Six-is-Enough

Use to do a little Boost
Re: Shindig Carnage

Can't put a price on a good time:tdown:....................Hope everyone else makes it home breakage free.:tup:
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Shindig Carnage

I probably should add in knock from a 3000 mile rebuilt motor that sounds like a bearing....

This was an expensive event :squint:
 

GAShan

Donating Member
Re: Shindig Carnage

I drove up with a grinding front brake, found out I only had one slider bolt in the left front caliper. Easiest fix of the weekend. Lost it somewhere between Canaveral and Jacksonville. Much thanks to Harmon for the use of some tools I needed and didn't have and especially Jimmy for racing me to Autozone at closing time while I called them to beg them to stay open past closing time. Georgia people are nice, down here they might not have waited for me.

Props to all especially Hood for nailing down all of the details. Nav systems rule, everything he printed from Google maps was wrong.
 

turrrbo6

Member
Re: Shindig Carnage

Props to all especially Hood for nailing down all of the details. Nav systems rule, everything he printed from Google maps was wrong.[/QUOTE]

I was giving Hood a hard time about the Google maps also but then my GPS got lost going to the dragstrip.
 

--SyTy Jim--

GAST Member
Re: Shindig Carnage

I drove up with a grinding front brake, found out I only had one slider bolt in the left front caliper. Easiest fix of the weekend. Lost it somewhere between Canaveral and Jacksonville. Much thanks to Harmon for the use of some tools I needed and didn't have and especially Jimmy for racing me to Autozone at closing time while I called them to beg them to stay open past closing time. Georgia people are nice, down here they might not have waited for me.

Props to all especially Hood for nailing down all of the details. Nav systems rule, everything he printed from Google maps was wrong.

:tup:

No problem Gary, it was fun. Great to meet you.

Jimmy
 

aasltmike

Active member
Re: Shindig Carnage

Damn...maybe with all the carnage from this, it prolly was a good thing I didn't bring my Ty given all the issues I've had to address with it since I bought it. Good luck to all those that have some work to do on theirs after this event. :tup:
 

GAShan

Donating Member
Re: Shindig Carnage

We need to bring a tranny builder with us to the next event. Set him up in Harmon's trailer and keep him one tranny ahead. Add to list Dan's Ty, same builder, that blew up the day before just driving home from work. He never even made it to the event.
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Shindig Carnage

Both mine and Harmon's trans blew up in dramatic fashion. Harmon's truck wont even move, even in neutral. He'll have to pull the driveshafts even to get it out of the trailer.

I have absolutely no gears. Truck just sits and revs no matter what you select.... we dumped my truck at Hoods house, I rode back home with Ian (no biggie, we live 8 houses apart). So my truck is 260 miles away for the time being.

We both have the same trans builder. Harmon shredded his ass on the phone from the time we pulled off the side of the road until the truck was loaded up on the trailer.

The good part is, not a dime is coming out of pocket from either of us to have them rebuilt...including the shipping to send mine back down, then back up to put it back in.

EARL!
 

SloGN

9Sec Alky V6
Re: Shindig Carnage

Who silverado got in a fight with a deer? Pope?

The only silverado i saw thee was mine and popes. Lee was in a avalanche.



The only carnage for me was i finally got to confirm what i thought was the heater core leaking:rant: It started dripping out of the lower heater duct in front of the console During the AutoX. Then on the last pass at the drag strip it got real steamy in the truck!

And i was not playing with myself either!:rotf:
 

Sy229

Move with Purpose
Re: Shindig Carnage

Update: Sometimes it's better to be lucky than brilliant. Yesterday I replaced the original fuel pump relay -which looked pretty beat - with a new one; no joy. Noted that the fuel pump was not coming on at all now. Hmm, maybe the pump itself went bad? Wait, the fuel gauge now reads empty - No way! Yes way. Put 2 gallons of gas in it and it started right up :oops:

Apparently it ran dry at the business end as I was going up that long grade, though the gauge at the time indicated I had just under a quarter tank.
Put in a new fuel filter in case I clogged the old by sucking out the bottom of the tank. Thankful my transmission still works...for the time being.

--------------------------------------------------------


My Sy quit about 40 miles from home. We were climbing a long hill at about 80 mph when the torque converter started unlocking/locking/unlocking with increasing frequency until it wouldn't go any further. I was able to pull off the road before it quit altogether. Checked trans and oil levels and they both looked ok. Ian and I had noticed the unlocking behavior a time or two on the ride back from the track last night, but it didn't occur again until this morning.

Probably unrelated, but immediately after refueling this morning to start the trip back, it started running rich at idle and triggered a check light. Shut it down and started it up again normally. Still not sure what to make of that one.

Good news was that AAA was on the scene in 30 minutes and we were home soon after. I plan to take a closer look tomorrow after work.

A small inconvenience in an otherwise fantastic Shindig weekend. Kudo's to Mike, Adam, Jonathan, Dennis, Mandi, and everyone else who worked to put on a great meet :tup:
 
Last edited:

sytyguy

Moderated User
Re: Shindig Carnage

The Silverado that got in a fight with a (now discovered) nice 8 point buck was mine (the wife was driving home Sat. night). Deer & weather....the 2 most unpredictable things in South Georgia.

Yeah, I gotta start double-checking my directions. Me and Google Maps don't get along.
 

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.
Re: Shindig Carnage

The Silverado that got in a fight with a (now discovered) nice 8 point buck was mine (the wife was driving home Sat. night). Deer & weather....the 2 most unpredictable things in South Georgia.

Yeah, I gotta start double-checking my directions. Me and Google Maps don't get along.

It must be a southern thing. Google Maps directions sucked for Nats in BG too. :tdown: :lol:
 
Re: Shindig Carnage

We need to bring a tranny builder with us to the next event. Set him up in Harmon's trailer and keep him one tranny ahead. Add to list Dan's Ty, same builder, that blew up the day before just driving home from work. He never even made it to the event.

My carnage has left me with reverse only.:rant:I REALLY wanted to be there. My wife took it as an omen :roll:and did not want to go (after she had already taken Friday off from work to go). I could not take her car because it would have left her stranded. I tried to catch a flight but the earliest one would have gotten me there around 11:00 am on Saturday (after 1 stop and nearly 6 hours on the plane) and would have cost over $400.00 one way. I could not get a one way rental (seems no rental company in FL wanted to give up a car to GA):(. On the bright side it did not happen while I was in route with my family (my wife would never let me hear the end of it if it did). I am glad everyone had a good time and made it home safe:). Hopefully I will be able to make it to the next Shindig.:tup:
 
Re: Shindig Carnage

Both mine and Harmon's trans blew up in dramatic fashion. Harmon's truck wont even move, even in neutral. He'll have to pull the driveshafts even to get it out of the trailer.

I have absolutely no gears. Truck just sits and revs no matter what you select.... we dumped my truck at Hoods house, I rode back home with Ian (no biggie, we live 8 houses apart). So my truck is 260 miles away for the time being.

We both have the same trans builder. Harmon shredded his ass on the phone from the time we pulled off the side of the road until the truck was loaded up on the trailer.

The good part is, not a dime is coming out of pocket from either of us to have them rebuilt...including the shipping to send mine back down, then back up to put it back in.

EARL!

Am I included in this???
 
Top