Shifter "slop"

green73

Donating Member
Is the side to side loose feel of the shifter normal? Mine moves (moved) around the bottom pivot, but the pressed in stud was still tight. It is almost like there should have been teflon/nylon washers or bushings on either side of the main base plate where it meets the shifter arm. The Ty has less than 90k on it and everything else is pretty tight, so I don't think it was worn.

The pin showed no signs of wear and the arm and base plate were still tightly pressed to the pin. The only looseness I found was the gap in the shifter arm was wider than the base plate. I drilled out the factory pin at the bottom of the shifter, drilled out the openings, and put a 5/8" bushing and shoulder bolt in its place with nylon washers. Almost all the side to side movement is almost totally gone now :tup:. I still may need another washer on it though to fully take all the slop out, but I don't want it to start binding. It's all back together now and if I ever have to take the console out again I might tinker with it more. Just wondering if this movement is normal.
 

Syclone22

Member
Re: Shifter "slop"

Is the side to side loose feel of the shifter normal? Mine moves (moved) around the bottom pivot, but the pressed in stud was still tight. It is almost like there should have been teflon/nylon washers or bushings on either side of the main base plate where it meets the shifter arm. The Ty has less than 90k on it and everything else is pretty tight, so I don't think it was worn.

The pin showed no signs of wear and the arm and base plate were still tightly pressed to the pin. The only looseness I found was the gap in the shifter arm was wider than the base plate. I drilled out the factory pin at the bottom of the shifter, drilled out the openings, and put a 5/8" bushing and shoulder bolt in its place with nylon washers. Almost all the side to side movement is almost totally gone now :tup:. I still may need another washer on it though to fully take all the slop out, but I don't want it to start binding. It's all back together now and if I ever have to take the console out again I might tinker with it more. Just wondering if this movement is normal.

On my new 93 Typhoon i had that loose gap feel also i installed a
a bolt with teflon washers no issues after !!
 
Top