Roller rockers

SY1373

New member
Would a set of 1.7 roller rockers benefit a stock syclone? I need to change the valve cover gaskets and have a new set of 1.7's in the garage. Would there be problems with valve cover clearance, piston / valve clearance, press in studs, etc?

Thanks,
Buck
 
G

Guest

Guest
The stockers are 1.5's........ I'm NO expert, but I think going to 1.7's is pushing it! Try and find someone with a big block chevy that has some 1.6's to trade.
 
Most likely you would wipe out the cam, 1.6 rockers can even do this sometimes on a stock cam, it just puts more stress on the cam,lifter and pushrod, anyway on small block chevy's you have to grind out the area that the pushrods travel through, cause it moves the pushrod i believe closer to the valve and this area is full of casting flash
 

G.D. Bryson

New member
Buck. Refer to Super Chevy Magazine Feb 2002 issue page 97 for most informative article on rockers, ratios and effects on performance. Issue was pulled from newstands 24 Dec so ya might have to hunt, or see them online at http://www.superchevy-web.com. Have a great 2002.

Gary & Ty 1845
 

myclone

Donating Member
On 2002-01-07 20:45, Roland Black wrote:
The stockers are 1.5's........ I'm NO expert, but I think going to 1.7's is pushing it! Try and find someone with a big block chevy that has some 1.6's to trade.

Unless youve upgraded to 7/16 BB studs then BB stuff wont work. SB/V6 are 3/8 studs and BB studs are 7/16 (speaking stock stuff here).

Here is what I know will clear the factory valve covers. Yes, I know they will cause Ive used em and I checked for interference(sp?)...

Comp cams Roller TIP rockers.. I don like em... Pain to adjust with a 5/8 socket unless you use poly locks. They come with regular lock nuts so you gotta buy the polly locks seperate. Prolly cheaper in the long run to buy a set of rocker arms that come with them.

Crane Energizer alum roller rockers. They clear everything but not by much. I ran them with lift no greater than .525 @.050 so if you use a a bigger cam then they may hit the rocker arm cover (valve covers) at full lift, I dunno. They come with poly locks BTW. Nothing else to buy unless you get 1.6 ratio then you gotta buy the Louis tool that you use to elongate the push rod holes. No biggie though as its like 30 bucks.

As was mentioned you may need to elongate the pushrod slots in the heads with 1.6 ratio rockers or the pushrods rub. Ive noticed some engines can get by without elongating them and some cant. Some push rods will clear and some wont even on the same engine. Manufacturing tolerances I guess... You should check em all or just save yourself the time and go ahead and elongate em all. Thats what I do.

As far as higher ratio rockers hurting the cam... Never seen that happen on a roller cam. Flat tappet? Yep, seen that happen. Unless the cam has "issues" in the first place then the only thing that will wipe it is if the roller on the lifter is bad/pitted, the anti rotation device on the lifter is FUBAR, or there is crap running around in the oiling system. If you got garbage in the oil then a wiped cam is gonna be the least of your worries before long.

Lotsa ppl are running 1.6s with the factory valve trains with no prob. Get crazy with the spring pressure then you'll start pulling the studs out of the heads or collapsing the lifter before the cam "wipes". Stranger things have happened though..

HTH..



<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: myclone on 2002-01-08 06:01 ]</font>
 

SY1373

New member
Thanks for the info. I have the Crane alum rollers (I have tried the roller tips and find them a waste of $). I didn't think the additional leverage created by the .7's would wipe out the stock cam (I have ran .545 lift @ .050 with these lifters in my vortec with great results - right up to the point the press in studs decided it was time to go).

I plan to slip a couple on and check push rod and valve cover clearance(s) (try to avoid the dents & ticking noise that goes along with it).

Thanks,

Buck
 
Top