rings

dave fisher

New member
ball park figure.. how much am i looking at to get new rings installed on a stock engine?? compression is down in 2 cylinders, needs new rings.. what am i looking at? cant do it myself.. (dont have all the tools)
 

JSM

Active member
I wouldn't suggest just having the rings replaced...

Most of the time if rings are bad, it takes cylinder wall with it.

If you are paying to have them replaced, you might as well atleast hone cylinder for low mile motor, and 60k or more miles I would bore and new pistons...

I don't think you will be happy with just new rings, and you will pay almost as much labor to do rings as a rebuild.
 

Methuselah

New member
What if there is a crack in the cylinder wall? When a machine shop resleeves the cylinder do they bore the cylinder and put a steel "sleeve" in to bring the width back down? Isnt this what is done on aluminum blocks?

________
LOLOL
 
Last edited:

JSM

Active member
I don't think they will or should sleeve a cracked block, they should only sleeve a block that is already to big.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
I am going to switch to Total Seal Extreme rings this weekend...should be very much gooder
 
Top