Propshafts movement

ndburli

New member
Hello all...so I got under the truck yesterday and found there to be some movement in the front propshaft. I have some minor vibration at about 10mph just for a second the it goes away. I feel the play in the shaft as I drive (almost a clunking noise). Are there serviceable joints on the shaft or do I need to go with an aftermarket shaft or perhaps one from a Bravada?? I have read numerous threads on here and it appears a lot of people use sport machine propshafts or Gilbert. I am assuming since there is play and noise it needs to be replaced. It has 62000. Any thoughts or knowledge on the subject would be great. My diagnoses is the front propshaft but the again I am a noob with these trucks! Thanks for any help or guidance.
 

BoostedSUV

Active member
Re: Propshafts movement

That's how mine started out until it blew apart and took out the side of my trans, shifter cable, and floor board. If you've got play in the joints its time to replace it. You could go with a stock replacement but a Gilbert, RPM, or sportmachine's shaft would be the worry free permanent fix.
 

ndburli

New member
Re: Propshafts movement

Beside bolting up the new propshaft is there anything else I would need to do with the torque converter? (seals, bearings)?
 

ndburli

New member
Re: Propshafts movement

And lastly as a final check to make sure it's the propshaft I should remove it and drive it for a short trip to see if I hear the noise anymore or not right?
 

IDRVSLO

When Hell Freezes Over
Re: Propshafts movement

No, do not remove it and drive it. You can remove it and inspect the U-Joints a little bit better but do not drive it. Order a new shaft and call it a day.
 

ndburli

New member
Re: Propshafts movement

I have heard conflicting reports. I understand by driving it without the front propshaft it could damage to vicious coupler however by just removing it for a test drive would it not just be rear wheel drive? Btw..my only goal in the test drive is to see if I hear the noise anymore. Again I'm a noob so I really have no ground or a ton of knowledge here. Just throwing out for discussion to make sure I do the right thing!
 

IDRVSLO

When Hell Freezes Over
Re: Propshafts movement

I apologize, as my comment above was not directed at you, but at the person ( IDRVSLO) I quoted in the post..

You are absolutely correct. A drive with the front shaft out for a few miles or days, to ascertain the source of a noise or vibration is certainly a viable diagnosis technique. So do it. It won't hurt a thing.

LOL, Dave.....haha, I like your style!

I got lucky......extremely, extremely lucky, figure 8s with no issues.

ndburli SyTy owners have seen many Tcase failures over the years and as many have experienced, the damage can be done in a relatively short period of time without the front propshaft in place.
 
Last edited:

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: Propshafts movement

U can drive without the props aft in withou damaging the transfer cases all u want as long as u don't drive it like an asshole and beat the piss out of it like a 16 year old would do.

Take it and drive her normally and see how it acts. If your keeping the truck invest the money now into an upgraded shaft because even with stock power the propshaft is pron to letting go and allot of people have horror stories so why risk it.
 

ndburli

New member
Re: Propshafts movement

Thanks guys for the help! I am ordering a propshaft from D & R Driveline today. For the price $280.00 plus shipping, along with reviews it seems like the best choice for me. I know they will need to know some information (type of trans). Where would this information be located? I know I could contact the dealer and find out what came in the truck so I assuming that is the best way. I believe most of these trucks came with the 700R4? or it could be the 480Le? Not real sure. Thoughts?
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: Propshafts movement

All syty's came with the 700r4.. only one's with the 4l80e swap were done by the owners to handle more power then stock
 
Re: Propshafts movement

LOL, Dave.....haha, I like your style!

I got lucky......extremely, extremely lucky, figure 8s with no issues.

ndburli SyTy owners have seen many Tcase failures over the years and as many have experienced, the damage can be done in a relatively short period of time without the front propshaft in place.


I've been here since 2001 and I can't say I remember seeing "many" Tcase failures due to owners removing the propahaft for diagnosis, much less removing it for more than 24 hours. Got some examples or anything to show?
 

IDRVSLO

When Hell Freezes Over
Re: Propshafts movement

Search......

You want the new guy to show the old guy that there have been stories of this happening?
 

toolmann

Member
Re: Propshafts movement

iv got a lock out cable for the front diff installed..iv driven my truck with the diff lock/unlocked,prop shaft installed/removed and variations there of for several thousands of miles over the coarse of several years with no problems/heat/noises or other issues..except for balding rear tires=)
i have a back up t-case..and im prepared for a failure..but indications are...

i hear more about front diff failures than t-cases. mine failed at 160k.

results may vary...
 
Last edited:

ndburli

New member
Re: Propshafts movement

I pulled the front prop today and gave her a test drive...noise went away! Definitely in the front prop...not sure if its a good thing I found the cause of the noise or a bad thing I have to shell out $300.00. The slight vibration that happens only 1 time when I first start driving is still there. It lasts about 1 second then goes away completely. Thoughts?
 

toolmann

Member
Re: Propshafts movement

I pulled the front prop today and gave her a test drive...noise went away! Definitely in the front prop...not sure if its a good thing I found the cause of the noise or a bad thing I have to shell out $300.00. The slight vibration that happens only 1 time when I first start driving is still there. It lasts about 1 second then goes away completely. Thoughts?

......I wouldn't condem the pshaft based on that alone...when my front diff gave up,it was noisy & binding,and when I took out the ps,for testing,the noise/binding was gone! no stress on the diff or tc..
the ps is a pretty simple design..it there's no play in the slip joint,and the u-jays aren't loose/clanking,you might want to run it on a lift,ps installed and listen with a stethoscope,electronic ears or like listening device. in a pinch,I believe old skool guys use a long piece of fuel line,or tubing to listen/track noises..

a Gilbert shaft is a nice upgrade...or even Sportmachines new shaft,but until you REALLY need one...

another symptom of my busted diff was on tight turns,or backing up...the truck didn't want to move...at all.

hth
 

ndburli

New member
Re: Propshafts movement

Here is my old shaft-no real play at the u joint side-rubber is in tact at the front diff side-is this hole in the center a lube joint? And also what type if grease should I use on the rear bearing of the front diff? It appears it has been greased before

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/nburliso/?action=view&current=5bc64245.jpg[/IMG]
 
Last edited:

toolmann

Member
Re: Propshafts movement

Here is my old shaft-no real play at the u joint side-rubber is in tact at the front diff side-is this hole in the center a lube joint? And also what type if grease should I use on the rear bearing of the front diff? It appears it has been greased before

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/nburliso/?action=view&current=5bc64245.jpg[/IMG]

at only 62k miles,I can't see you needing a diff,or tcase..but stranger things have happened. you can spend alot of money chasing a noise. I'd put the ps back in and continue diagnosis. your probably going to have to live with a slight varying vibration..I think alot of guys do. tire/wheel variance. throw a wheel weight. slightly bent rim..blah blah....
but the noise..put the front driveline back under stress,ie,install the ps. eliminate each component...diff,front cv axle joints,tcase,torsion bar mounts..noises travels in funny ways sometimes.

good luck!
 

powercat6

Active member
Re: Propshafts movement

Here is my old shaft-no real play at the u joint side-rubber is in tact at the front diff side-is this hole in the center a lube joint? And also what type if grease should I use on the rear bearing of the front diff? It appears it has been greased before

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/nburliso/?action=view&current=5bc64245.jpg[/IMG]

You left off the first [/IMG]

5bc64245.jpg
 
Top