Possible propshaft match?

InvisiBill

Active member
eBay Bravada Front Drive Shaft All Wheel! Never Used
Up for bids is a new Front Drive Shaft for a 96 Oldsmobile Bravada. I bought this drive shaft new for $1200. Before I was able to install in my Bravada I sold the vehicle. So my loss is your gain on this drive shaft.

ebaybravadapropshaft.jpg

I remember a few years ago trying to find some info on getting any stock-ish propshaft from anywhere. This looks pretty similar to ours, minus the can joint up front. Anyone tried one of these or know for sure if a '96 Bravada shaft will or won't work in our setup? It looks quite a bit like mine, after having the front replaced with a U-joint.

propshaftnew1.jpg

The biggest difference I see is the rear mount is a ring, whereas ours is more of an X.

I wouldn't pay the $1,200 he says he did (which matches up with what I've seen for propshafts from the dealer). I probably wouldn't even pay the $300 he's asking for it (when Gilberts are only a little more). But if this does work, it may give some others some more options when trying to get a stock replacement.
 

Wikid 1

200+ lbs of puppy!
Re: Possible propshaft match?

Don't see any reason, minus a flange/yoke replacement, why it woulnd't work. chassis, front drive line, and engine/trans placement are all the same, unless it's a newer one with the 4l60 the length may be slightly different, but if it's an older brav, it should work.
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: Possible propshaft match?

You need to measure the inside diameter of the front part. The NAPA 4x4 replacement guys said worked great, didn't work for crap when I tried it. The 4x4 part had a smaller internal diameter on the front end and basically wouldn't fit on the front flange correctly.
 

Wikid 1

200+ lbs of puppy!
Re: Possible propshaft match?

True, but the bravada is AWD, and the early ones used the same Tcase as our trucks. the one in the Ebay ad is from a 96, not sure what Tcase but i believe the flanges were the same. part time 4X4 driveshafts don't have Cardan joints at the Tcase, just a single U-joint on both ends.
 
Top