Possible broken TV Cable?

THEMADTYPH00N

Active member
I think I may have a broken TV cable adjuster. I press the button and slide the sleeve all the way to the driver side like normal. However when I start to pull the throttle, I run into a problem. The cable clicks once, then about 3/4 throttle it gets very hard to pull, then all of a sudden it pops and the sleeve jumps about 1/2 inch. Almost like there are some stripped teeth inside and its skipping over them. I think this may be the cause of my soft part throttle shifts. I have a video so you can see what Im talking about. I know its a crappy cell phone vid but its the best I could come up with for now. Can anyone tell me if its suppose to do this?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v610/THEMADTYPH00N/?action=view&current=e4167ebe.flv
 

sy#2921

BAMF
Re: Possible broken TV Cable?

Your teeth are worn. It should click nicely till it adjust correctly. I have a good one at the house if you want to try it out and see if it helps you or not. Otherwise the one Blake makes it awesome and will never wear out.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: Possible broken TV Cable?

sy#2921 said:
Your teeth are worn. It should click nicely till it adjust correctly.

DITTO! I wouldn't drive the truck until you get a new cable. A bad TV cable is a surefire way to burn up a 700-R4 in no time... I don't know the particulars on your truck but, the TV cable isn't something that you adjust everytime you change the oil. Once you set it, don't mess with it unless it is necessary.
 

Silly

Banned
Re: Possible broken TV Cable?

I don't believe he can drive the truck without a chip anyway so that shouldn't be a problem!
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: Possible broken TV Cable?

The ones I do are the correct length but also have 180 degress of thread contact instead of just over an 3/16" of a flat surface like the stock setup does. Click click POP is a worn adjuster. A stock TV cable should lightly click click click click all the way out. Mine you adjust manually but it's really easy to do. It's worth it not to wear out again.
Like Mike Campbell said, it is NOT a routine adjustment. Do NOT routinely adjust it to change shift points. That is NOT what it is for. The ones that are worn out are usually from people trying to make them shift "harder". If you have it adjusted correctly, then leave it alone and do a pressure test. Adjusting them all the time WILL wear them out in short order.
 

THEMADTYPH00N

Active member
Re: Possible broken TV Cable?

This all came about because I had a bad leak from the pan gasket. I changed it and took it for a cruise around the block. I quickly realized that something was wrong and turned around. I checked the fluid level and that seemed fine, so this was the next thing I looked at.


sy#2921 said:
Your teeth are worn. It should click nicely till it adjust correctly. I have a good one at the house if you want to try it out and see if it helps you or not.

I might take you up on that.
 
Top