Noisy Propshaft/Transfer Case

BLACK92TY

It's never enough
Did a search and couldn't find much. Have you guys ever heard of this?

Under normal acceleration from a stop to about 30mph or so my Ty is making a medium to sometimes high pitched screetching noise (depending on the level of acceleration) coming from the driver side region. From the sound you can tell something is turning and there is friction to say the least. My guess is that something is going on in the transfer case. I also took a quick look underneath the truck before I had to run to work and saw that the transfer case fluid that's exposed is pretty sloppy/dirty. Now I'm not feeling too good about launching this truck until the problem is solved.
tantrum2.gif


Anyone have any suggestions?
confused.gif


Thanks,
Jon
 
Last edited:

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Re: Noisy Propshaft/Transfer Case

gotta make sure its not your brakes.

I'd try getting the truck off the ground and rotating the driveline to see if you can find the noise..
i'd probly start with removing the propshaft and see what happens with the sound.
 

BLACK92TY

It's never enough
Re: Noisy Propshaft/Transfer Case

It's definitely not the brakes. The noise is pretty obnoxious compared to any noise worn out pads/rotors could make. Taking out the propshaft sounds like a good logical idea.
 

ericguy320

Stupid Member
Re: Noisy Propshaft/Transfer Case

Could be the joints in the prop shaft getting dry. The noise would be a lot quicker rotating noise that the brake rotor would make. 3.42 times quicker.
 

BLACK92TY

It's never enough
Re: Noisy Propshaft/Transfer Case

Well, I finally made an attempt to correct the situation and I think it's gotta be an idler pulley. Only because the noise only occurs when the truck is cold and it's definitely coming from undrneath the hood. One of the bearings must be out or something. I'll keep ya'll posted.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Re: Noisy Propshaft/Transfer Case

Well, you have to eliminate engine vs driveline causing the noise, If you can cause the noise in park or neutral, then its engine/trans, if its only when its moving its trans/drivetrain.

Once your sure its not the driveline you can remove the belt and start the truck, You can run it for a short time like this at idle, should help you diagnose that...
 
Top