Mod or replace gas tank?

SY732

New member
Any ideas I would like to mod my tank, so I do not need 10+ gallons to race

Or replace the tank with smaller lighter fuel cell (prefer to keep it under the bed)

Anyone done this?

TIA
Kris
 

John C Holmes

New member
I have a 93ty and also curious about swapping its tank out. GM's tanks are expensive 350 or so. Cells are much cheaper so I've noticed for 20 gallon ones. If any would even fit. TIA.
Cody
 

InvisiBill

Active member
A friend mentioned that some F-bodies and Corvettes had special swinging fuel pickups...

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~hartley/iroc/iroc_specs.html
* Special swinging fuel pickup in gas tank and special 18 gallon baffled fuel tank for fuel pickup down to .5 gallon reserve to prevent fuel starvation in hard cornering.

Is it possible to take something like this from an F-body or make one to work with SyTy's? If you can't stop the fuel from sloshing, just have the pickup follow it...
 

Eluding

New member
I've replaced the fuel pump on my 94 Firebird and yes, the pick-up is jointed to allow it to swing. I remember that it looked similar to my Syclone pick-up. But this was last year and I can't remember if they are similar enough to be interchangeable. All I do know is that I've also changed the pump on a couple of LS1 Firebirds and the pick-ups are WAY DIFFERENT than the Syclone one. So I would think that you'd need to compare the 93-97 F-body pick-ups to your Sy/Ty pick-ups to see if they would work or not.
 

V

Donating Member
I think the first (i.e. cheapest) mod attempt would be to modify the mounting of the tank to give it a little tilt. You might not be able to mod it enough to make a difference, but giving it a look would cost you nothing but time.

If I remember correctly, there is a simple baffle in the stock tank, so a swingarm might not work. Could be wrong, the fumes from my AFPR problems are affecting my memory. :D
 
V said:
If I remember correctly, there is a simple baffle in the stock tank, so a swingarm might not work.

Funny thing is, I was talking with a guy at the track this weekend that has an LS1 powered '91 S10 that runs 12.2's. And he has no problems with fuel starvation. I don't get it, does the '91 have a different tank. I am sure his truck launchs as hard as ours cause he runs on slicks.

BTW here's a video of his truck at the strip:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrmojo2//truckfinal.wmv
 
Top