Lock-Up T.C?

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!
do our trucks have a lock-up torque converter? I noticed that when I was on the freeway that I didnt feel the T.C. lock up when I held a steady speed. I know this is because of the motor swap, and I am wondering how does not having the T.C. lock up affect the tranny? I heard that it builds more heat and MPG suffers, but anything else?
 

sytyguy

Moderated User
Re: Lock-Up T.C?

We do have lockup. To test, maintain a steady speed, rpm, throttle position and lightly tap the brake pedal (not enough to slow the truck, but enough to illuminate brake lights). You should see the tach jump a few hundred rpm and fall back to normal. If not, it ain't locking up.

Hood
 

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!
Re: Lock-Up T.C?

that brings up another point...what color is the wire that goes from the tach to the engine? the owner before us had a Mallory 5" behind the steering wheel, but we pulled it out. I know the factory tach has power, as does the boost gauge because they "jump" when the truck is first started, but it will not show RPM. any help?


P.S.-we have a Syclone shop manual, but wiring diagrams kind of suck if you dont know what you are looking for.
 

Syclone#892

Member
Re: Lock-Up T.C?

Your t.c. probably does not lock up because of the lack of comuter control. That would just be a guess of mine though some one probably knows more about it.

Oh and my friend says sorry, he said he accidently blocked you in the other day at school and was going to move his car but they wouldn't let him after he realized you were going to be moving it. So if there was a silver t.a. (398 rwhp) or a shitty civic blocking in the sy that was him.
He did say your truck looked real nice though. Noticed you had G009's on it, there a decent tire but not a high perfomance thats for sure.
 

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!
Re: Lock-Up T.C?

no problem, I managed to get out :tup:. the G009's were the best all around as far as price & performance and they best fit our needs. At least now I know that there are some people and friends of SyTy.net'ers by me ;)
 
Top