launch with a 4l80e

Falco

Donating Member
Howdy guys. I can remember that we were advised against to launch with a 700r4 with the gear selector in OD. What's up with the 4l80e in a similar scenario? Can it have any ill effect on the tranny? I'm out of gears at the end of the track. I'd prefer to launch it in OD and leave it there than launch in D and shift it up later down the track.

Any input is appreciated,
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: launch with a 4l80e

If you launch it in Drive you get the 3 overrun clutches helping you out also. I put blues in yours so it's like have 5 more clutches helping you compared to launching in OD. You can do it, it's just better if you leave it in D. For comparison, the overrun clutch in the 80e is the same size as a forward clutch in a 700.
 
Last edited:

Falco

Donating Member
Re: launch with a 4l80e

George Blake said:
If you launch it in OD you get the 3 overrun clutches helping you out also. I put blues in yours so it's like have 5 more clutches helping you compared to launching in OD. You can do it, it's just better if you leave it in D. For comparison, the overrun clutch in the 80e is the same size as a forward clutch in a 700.

Thanks George! I'll try to shift it then. I'm a bit afraid though, to push it forward into neutral accidentally...
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: launch with a 4l80e

Falco said:
Thanks George! I'll try to shift it then. I'm a bit afraid though, to push it forward into neutral accidentally...
Don't you have an aftermarket shifter? I thought it had a Neutral lockout on it.
For everyone looking at this, this is VERY important.
If you shift ANY transmission into neutral during ANY forward driving, your forward drum, (input drum on a 700r4) will spin at 2.5 to 3 times engine rpm. So if your speeding down the track at 6500 rpm, your forward drum will suddenly spin at almost 20K rpm. This WILL result in catastrophic failure as the forward assembly was never meant to spin at this rpm and centrifugal force will grenade the assembly resulting in transmission damage, vehicle damage, driver injury or death. I'm not exaggerating this point and Zsolt has the right to be concerned.
I thought you had a lockout, though. If not, you can launch it in OD.
 

Falco

Donating Member
Re: launch with a 4l80e

That's what I thought. Yep, I'm using a shifter from Hurst (V-matic), but no, unfortunately it has no neutral lock out.

Thanks again,
 
Top