L35 cam

turbosonoma

New member
an L35 cam in a sy/ty motor is suposed to be a good/cheap upgrade right? But seems as a balance shaft cam wont work in a non balance shaft block, would it be a good idea when i get the cam re ground to get the L35 cam profile ground into my stock sy cam? need some expert opinion here, or it it not even worth the hassle and should i keep the stock cam.

Please let me know
Brad
92 Synoma
 

turbosonoma

New member
I never thought you actually listened to me when i talked, i originally brought up the idea about three weeks and you said you had no idea. so there : )

Brad
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
the stock cam has less lift....therefore you cant grind it down to get more lift...even if you could spend 200 bucks and get a real cam....
 

G.D. Bryson

New member
JWaller. Are ya talking about the GM # 10051147 cam detailed as "L-79 for V6/90' 4.3, .447" lift (at 1.5)? I'm curious too.

Gary B. & Ty 1845
 

turbosonoma

New member
Ok waller what would you reccomend for my motor. i want to use a stockish cam because i dont want any of the computer hassles that go along with some big cam. My motor is (will be) basically stock with the exception of eagle rods,srp pistons,vortec heads, PT52, 3000stall, 50# ultimate. i DO NOT want to run speedpro. i want a stock computer. remember my truck is 2wd also. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Brad
92 SYnoma
 

V6 Kompressor

New member
I think you will like the comp. cams 09-410-8
or the crane compu-cam 2020 for non bal shaft/hyd. roller 4.3 v-6. Summit has Comp cam in stock as of a little while ago...Don't spend $150 plus ship for a regrind...(That's what Lunati Charges me) I believe both of these cams are around 500 lift and 260 duration and a 112 centerline...Should have good Idle and vacuum.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
use the 9-412-8...you will not be disappointed....I and BG both now reccommend this cam....it is easily chipped for and has all the lift your vortecs will need...
 

turbosonoma

New member
HMM so an aftermarket cam is going to get along fine with the ultimate? I dont want to be tuning this stupid truck for the rest of my life. I can get a stock regring for $100 locally or get an aftermarket cam for between $430-$450. I just want this dumb truck to run good. Thats all i ask : )

Brad
92 Synoma
 

smeagol

Active member
HMM so an aftermarket cam is going to get along fine with the ultimate? I dont want to be tuning this stupid truck for the rest of my life. I can get a stock regring for $100 locally or get an aftermarket cam for between $430-$450. I just want this dumb truck to run good. Thats all i ask : )

You are asking a lot. You are going to be running heads that aren't stock Syty, a cam that isn't stock Syty, a turbo that isn't stock Syty.. then larger injectors...

Tuning will be necessary, but going off a proven recipe will make things easier.

John has run the Vortecs & the 9-412-8 combo, with a larger turbo and 50s. I can't say that it ran perfect, or that you'll pass emissions, but it seemed to run ok.

John can give you more data on that.

I have some calibrations that will work on that buildup.. but keep in mind the more radical you go, the more difficult tuning will be. These are speed density computers, they are not as flexible with modifications as MAF systems are. On most vehicles, a good camshaft is almost always a performance upgrade, with Syty's, it can cause more problems than it is worth and will slow you down unless you have the combination & calibration that it needs.
 

BigAl...

Member
hey Brian, you mentioned the 50# beta is for bolt on's only, what exactly are ya looking for as far as bolt on's? this is what I have in the works: 772's (out being ported now), big turbo (probably a 62-1 from Mike), the cam JW mentioned Comp Cams 9-412-8, Alky and ofcourse A2A IC. I think I'm staying on track with the recipe you guys have proven to work. I'll either use one of your proven calibrations or the beta, whachta ya think?

TIA
BigAl...
 

smeagol

Active member
Bolt ons = not going into the motor, valve covers don't need to come off.

Go to http://www.chitownsyty.com Tech section, read up on the 50# chips there, and you'll get a better idea. These programs are probably going to drive me nuts in the next few months, and I'll probably regret releasing them at all.
 

BigAl...

Member
hey JW where do you buy the Comp cam 9-412-8?
how much$, and have you ever used one of the cam kits that brings cam, valves, springs, push rods etc...

do you use 1.6 rockers with this cam?

BG I'll send you an email when I have all the parts and begin the swap

TIA
BigAl...





<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigAl... on 2002-02-11 15:49 ]</font>
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
you can get this cam from anybody whop sells Comp stuff...should run you about 300....or I can sell you one for 300.....all I can saw is this cam rocks...with my setup...the vortecs and L35 heads as with any good head need lift to work better. and thus require some amount of knowelde to make it all work together...IE tuning chipin and such...I do use the 1.6's with this cam for a total lift of around 0.533..I use stock lifters and you must use a differnt spring..but its all worth it
 
Top