internal vs external

I know this has probably been talked about a thousand times on here but can someone put my mind at ease. I just bought the PTE52 which has the internal setup on it. I talked to Brian Green and Jerry McCoy and they both told me that the internal setup on the the PTE turbo is great. I currently was running a 20g with a Tial 40mm external gate should I stay internal and run what PTE gives you or should I run the external Tial?

Any help would be great

Thanks Bill Sy 2882
 

smeagol

Active member
The high pressure actuator used in the PTE setup has been used in Buicks into the 8s.

Half of the overboost problem that Syty's have is due to the high exhaust backpressure of the small turbine side. Once you have a turbo that has better exhaust flow (be it PTE, Mitsu, whatever) it will make the truck much less prone to overboost/creep. Combine it with a higher base boost level... you have the makings for some good boost control.

I don't have the boost control worked out with the PTE turbos yet, just because of lack of exposure to them. The base boost is set at 15psi, and so far, I've just been doing regular drivability, and some performance at 15psi only... but from what I've seen on the 2 local trucks with the system, the boost is rock solid at 15psi... converter locked or not, cat or not, whatever...
 

Tooky

Serious about performance
I noticed the PTE package comes with a dump vent at the bottom of the downpipe. Would the integral wastegate be able to fully control even something like this? I know a guy named Kevin "FASTSUV" who I talked to at Great Lakes Dragaway and he said that day when he tried the dump his boost went to like 24 PSI and out of control but I don't remember the details. Furthermore, if the PTE wastegate is capable of controlling the dump, is this the ideal method of exhaust at the track for a maximum effort run (using whatever your truck is currently built to)?
 

smeagol

Active member
It will control it, but you have to have it set for it. In other words, if you set your boost for 15psi with a fully closed exhaust, and then you pop the dump, you will get more boost.

Have to do either of 2 things... get a better exhaust, or set your boost when the dump is open. Opie sees the same thing on his truck, since he has like a 1-3/4" cat back or something.
 
Top