Intercoolers.....

vortecfiero

New member
This might sound dumb, but if air to water ICs are 14 times more efficient, how come some guys are switching to A to A ?

I gotta know..
 

vortecfiero

New member
Corky Bells Book,
HP books (Tom Monroe)
and the way hypotherma has a way of chilling ya down real fast, besides ice water must be the way to go, for drag racing. I know on the street, you would need to stop a lot for ice duh! but ambient temp water would cool down an intake charge faster with a smaller
core (I think) ever sat in a 70 deg pool ?

_________________
94/5 Vortec 4300
84 Fiero Phantom GT:
Best ET 14.445 @ 95 mph
Goin' turbo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vortecfiero on 2002-03-11 21:06 ]</font>
 

Tooky

Serious about performance
I have also seen a handful of references that say water is x orders of magnitude better at transferring heat.
 

just a 6

R.I.P MyClone
It's true, but only if you can get about 100% efficesy (spelling) out of a water to air IC system compare to a a2a system. The biggest problem with a w2a system is to get rid of the heat that the water absorb from the IC.
 

smeagol

Active member
Yes it is much more efficient at transferring heat, but it is also much more efficient at RETAINING heat. This argument has been hashed out about 100 times.

It comes down to the fact that an air/water setup is based on 2 exchangers, the charge air to the coolant, and the coolant to the ambient airflow. The air/air is based only upon the charge air exchanging heat with the ambient airflow. You are actually talking about a difference of a few percent if both setups are optimized (no ice water) for core size, tanks etc etc, with the advantage to the air/air. This difference is so miniscule it is really dependent on the vehicle, the application, size constraints, budget etc.
Water/air will cost more, weigh more, and may heat soak, depending on the design.

Do some searches, I've posted on this before; Tony Dequick has a good post about it that I have quoted as well.

If you use ice water, air/water wins hands down, but ice melts and is only good for the strip.
 

BigAl...

Member
I agreed with BG, if you're able to use ice then water to air wins. BUT!!! no one is able to run ice ALL the time. The next biggest problem I see is that the stock intercooler (supposed to be the coldest part of the engine) is just above the hottest part of the engine the turbo and downpipe. While you're sitting at a light or traffic or whatever the situation may be the stock intercooler is just heat soaking it self to death. The a2a is constantly being hit with cool air.

BigAl...
 

nightdiver

Active member
i made a water spray in front of the KB air to air.
It works when i hit 8 psi of boost and i saw HUGE difference .
The cooler is always cold even in the hot Greek summers.
For in the traffic use i have two Spals behind the cooler
those things worked for me niceeeeeeeee
 

AXXE

Member
I think Intracooler (see group purchase) taps into the a/c lines. Water is better at absorbing heat, but the design of our setup leaves a lot to be desired. Water at 80 draws as much heat off your body as air at 40. (Useless knowledge)
 

AXXE

Member
I think Intracooler (see group purchase) taps into the a/c lines. Water is better at absorbing heat, but the design of our setup leaves a lot to be desired. Water at 80 draws as much heat off your body as air at 40. (Useless knowledge)
 
Top