IC temp sender location?

sy2185

New member
3 days ago I started the first round of mods on my sy. Since the IC system was all apart anyway, I sent my upper IC and CAC to the welder’s shop for threaded bungs to be installed for braided steel lines instead of the push on rubber hose stock setup. I’d considered having another welded on for the IC temp sender on the SPA dual gauges I’m looking at. But while looking through the Earl’s catalog I found a female/female coupler with a threaded gauge sender hole in it for just that. It brings up the point- do I want to see the temp of the coolant going into the IC, thereby monitoring the CAC and aux. CAC’s cooling ability or do I want to sample it after the IC on it’s way back to the CACs? I’d guess on the way in, figuring when working properly the coolant should always be pretty warm on the way out, having soaked the heat from the intake charge.
Is a weld in sensor fitting in the IC any better?
Will the coupler work here ? Though made for fuel, they come in all sizes.
Thanks,
J
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Ideally, both hot and cold points would be a best measure of the system. I believe if you measure the temps leaving the upper IC, you'll get an idea of what the intake temps are.

I have one measure right before it enters the first heat exhanger, the next sensor will go in right before the upper IC.
 

JoeLutz

New member
Ideally you want a large difference in temp of coolant going into and coming out of the IC, because that change in coolant temp represents the heat transfer from the charge air to the coolant. So I would think that you would want fairly higher coolant temps leaving the IC relative to the incoming coolant temp. The main objective should be getting as cold as possible of coolant entering the IC, so thats what I would measure.
 
Top