IC Routing Problems

SeattleSy#1255

Category 5 Conservative
I rerouted my IC lines as most people do along the passenger fender...blablabla...There is not one kink in these hoses, yet when i fill my IC nothing gets to the pump/heat exchanger. It only fills up a small amount. I'v actually tried to drain what i just put in the upper IC and nothing comes out. Now i'm stuck with coolant in my upper IC that won't drain. what besids a kink (I don't have one) will cause this? I'v tried to turn the pump on and off, i even dropped the heat exchanger/pump and all is plugged in and no kinks. What is going on with this thing? Everthing is plugged in and pump even comes on. Nothing, but a very small dribble came out when i tried to drain it. Also, i let it sit over night to see if that would help, bud didn't!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeattleSy#1255 on 2002-03-09 17:36 ]</font>
 

JoeLutz

New member
Make sure you have one big loop where every component is in series. Make sure the heat exchanger isn't stopped up with stop leak or something. Take the pump out and verify that it will pump water. When you try to drain the coolant, you have to remove the cap on top of the IC to let air in to take place of the water draining out.
 

JoeLutz

New member
Make sure your lines are not higher in any place than the IC is. Water dosen't drain uphill. Take the line loose at the heat exchanger and blow into the IC where you fill it to see if you can push water through.
 

SeattleSy#1255

Category 5 Conservative
the pump worked before...no reason it won't work now...but it is very loud, probably because it isn't pumping any water which is because there is no water down there, which is what i'm trying to figure out, hehe!

god i'm pissed!
 

Daron

Active member
I dont like routing the lines on the passengers side because of the sharp bends, needed at the CAC. The CAC should be the highest thing in your system. Routing the lines on the passengers side makes that hard IMHO.

Please go thru how you have everything routed and maybe something will become apparent as the cause of your probs..
 

SeattleSy#1255

Category 5 Conservative
Well here is my question...I think i know what the problem is...The lines are higher than the upper IC, thus water doesn't flow upward...the pump isn't self priming, so i'll have to remove the IC line and poor cooland down into there...My question is this...it is done exactly how it looks as figure 14 on this link:

http://www.sytyarchives.com/howto/ichose_icpump.php

How the hell does anyone that routes there lines like this, including me, drain the IC later on? It seems to me it will drain all the heat exchanger, pump, lines, but stop where it is higher than the IC...I'll have the same problem as i do now...everthing dry, but an upper IC full of cooland i can't get out...what do you guys do that rought you lines like this? Now if i go under all the AC crap there that would work, but then if i ever wanted to remove the IC, i can't just pick it up and move it aside, i'll have to drain it, unclamp it, etc. just to get it out of the way...what you guys think and what do you people do to drain these things!
 

atc82

New member
I have my setup like that and when I filled the IC with coolant, I held the IC up as high as I could get it and filled it while running the pump at the same time. Then I bolted it back up. I also remove it hold it up to drain it so the IC is the highest.
 

SeattleSy#1255

Category 5 Conservative
ok that makes sense ATC82...what about an idea of putting a "T" at the upper IC outlet, before it bends upward, placing a cap on the end of the "T", then when wanting to drain all i have to do is hook a funnel up to a hose place it under the cap and pop it off thus allowing all the coolant do drain out of the upper IC...Filling then, all i would have to do each time is pull the hose off place a funnel down it and fill...I would never have to unbolt all that stuff to drain and fill...I guess it is a matter of choice or what i would rather prefer to do...Pulling that hose off the 90 degree pvc bends can be a bitch too...just another tought, what you guys think of that one?
 

JoeLutz

New member
I thinkyou are making this way too complicated. Just run one line down the pass side and the other across the firewall and down the driverside
 

SeattleSy#1255

Category 5 Conservative
LOL, you guys are not only funny, but CORRECT...Its done now, and tured out great...Ran both down passenger side...Thanks for all the help, I OHHHHHHHH ya all...

thanks again,
jeff
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
I think about this every time I help someone do the mod, but I didnt looking at keith's pics. Air that inevitably gets cought in the system is going to bunch up there as well impeding flow. Say screw it and weld the fittings to the IC on the front.

I like the idea of going to the pasanger side, but then again, turbo is over there. I'd go driver's side, and cover the lines with some heat insulation.

I have mine runing close to the headers on the driver side, with 2 spal fans on the lower and an aux infront of the radiator, no heat sheilding. Typically the water is about 10-20 degrees above ambient before it goes into a heat exchanger to release heat. 0-80mph run will raise it approx 8-12 degrees

_________________
Ian T
orlando, F.A.S.T.
http://www.sytyarchives.com
carbonsyty.jpg


<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SyTyArchives on 2002-03-11 09:57 ]</font>
 
Top