IAC ????

V6 Kompressor

New member
No, The Iac Valve's movement is driven by a threaded shaft from the iac motor.. I have seen bad ones stripped out due to carbon build up and I also have seen bad ones spinning loose... You should not be able to move it in or out or spin it on the shaft either... Usually they just get heavily carboned up and sieze to the shaft and stick in one position, causing stalling or an uncontrollable idle speed...
 

V6 Kompressor

New member
Do not screw the Valve or press it in, all new ones come fully retracted with a clip holding it in... Here is the proceedure for the pre obd-II s-series http://www.s-series.org/htm/how2/tpsadjust.htm There may be some aftermarket units that can be forced in/ turned ect.. but the only time I have extended an IAC too far is applying power with the valve removed from the Throttle Body... You might as well get a new one then...

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day,
Teach a man to fish, and he sit in a boat all day drinking beer! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: V6 Kompressor on 2002-04-07 20:55 ]</font>
 

V6 Kompressor

New member
I had to go look up the replacement proceedure for the iac and the first paragraph says not to push or pull the pintle, because the threads on the worm gear can be dammaged. It says if the measurement does exceed 1.125 " (28mm), the unit should be replaced along with the O-ring seal (Make sure the new one has one). After replacement, turn ignition on for 5 seconds, then turn it off for 10 seconds, then start the engine and check for proper idle. Of course this is gm's proceedure for their type of IAC valve, there should be an instruction sheet enclosed with the aftermarket type. As cheap as these things are now, I wouldn't risk having one come apart inside... the pintle won't go anywhere, but I have seen the spring & wormgear imbedded in the top of a piston of a 86 tpi camaro... It was knocking a little...
 
Top