HELP QUICK rear-end binding up w/ clunk

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
When turning sharp it feels as if the rear-end is binding up on its self: Kind of like it's a mini spool posi But it slows the truck down, binds,wheels
scuff,Then loud metallic clunk "like U joint loose sound" W.T.F. ?

I took the diff cover off, only small amount of metal very fine. Normal!
Turned the axles and inspected the gears for damage and found none!
Changed the fluid put diff cover back on drove out the driveway
(SAME PROBLEM)

What could this binding be caused from?
Only happens in sharp turn Right or Left
Would this be the X-fer ?
 

SY2455

70's Veteran
When you service the diff did you add the GM additive for limited slip diff, If not you will have this problem.
 

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
re

re

yes I did put the additive in GOOD POINT

But fact is I only backed out of the drive 20' and found it had the same problem even after serv.
 

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
re

re

I can watch the tire in the mirror and it is the rear wheels doing it

If this is a gov lock rear end it doesn't look like the one I took apart on a 86 full size jimmy?

well?
 

SY2455

70's Veteran
When I service the rear diff on my W-30 it takes about 1 month of daily driving for this noise to go away. What grade & brand of gear oil do you use? There's some out on the market not worth a hill of beans. Have you checked the U joints?
 

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
re

re

DOES NOT MATTER NOW ................I JUST GRENADED THE SUMBITCH

OH WHAT A GREAT SOUND IT WAS TO HEAR IT RELEVE IT'S SELF ALL OVER THE DRIVEWAY :evil: :x

OH WELL IT'S ONLY MONEY........YEAH LIKE I HAVE ANY :cry:

GLAD I WAS ONLY 10' FROM HOME

P.O.S GOV LOCKER REAREND SERVS IT RIGHT
 

SY2455

70's Veteran
GOV LOCKER REAREND

GOV LOCKER REAREND

What style of Rearend is this??? I take it not the original one.
 

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
re

re

YES it's a stocker ......we have what some people call a Govenor locker

or gov lock ...................for short

one of the teeth (or as a Kentuckyan might say toofiss) broke on the govenor gear causing it to stay locked in posi!
 

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
re

re

YES it's a stocker ......we have what some people call a Govenor locker

or gov lock ...................for short

one of the teeth (or as a Kentuckyan might say toofiss) broke on the govenor gear causing it to stay locke in posi!
 

SY2455

70's Veteran
Maybe you should look at a Powertrax System from Summit if your case isn't broke. If it broke it. Look for a newer 4X4 rear end at a wrecking yard as some came with the 8.5" rear end.
 

SpoolingTurbo6

Donating Member
re

re

Yeah i got a Q? about Junk yard searches..........

I know our rearends :lol: are called a GU6 wich is a 3:42 lim. slip
I also know it is a govenor locking diff.

Who can tell me what to pull one out of at the J.Y.

?-? 4x4 jimmy
?-?4x4 blazer
?-? awd bravada

also Transfer case from what year

bravada
safari awd
astro awd

this would be good thing to have in the tech sec.

Tyson
 
Re: re

Re: re

macg3cpu said:
Yeah i got a Q? about Junk yard searches..........

I know our rearends :lol: are called a GU6 wich is a 3:42 lim. slip
I also know it is a govenor locking diff.

Who can tell me what to pull one out of at the J.Y.

?-? 4x4 jimmy
?-?4x4 blazer
?-? awd bravada

also Transfer case from what year

bravada
safari awd
astro awd

this would be good thing to have in the tech sec.

Tyson

I'd stick with S10/Sonoma rear ends. Something is different on the Blazer/Bravada rears. Maybe the spring perches or whatever they're called. Astro/Safari xfer case uses a different spline count on one of the shafts. It may still work, though.
 

turbodog

Donating Member
Well, just ran across this and did a quick check in the TSBs. Here's what I found. (disclaimer: I know it conflicts with what has already been posted here. Don't shoot the messenger...)

SUBJECT: LOCKING REAR AXLE CHATTER
MODELS: ALL LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH LOCKING REAR AXLES, RPO G80
THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND REPLACES GMC TRUCK SERVICE BULLETIN 90-4B-30
(CORPORATE NUMBER 964201) DATED JANUARY, 1990 TO ADD WARRANTY INFORMATION.
ALL COPIES OF 90-4B-30 SHOULD BE DISCARDED.
Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles (G80) may exhibit
rear axle chatter, especially when turning a corner from a stop.
This condition of alternate engagement and disengagement of the clutches in
the differential assembly is usually caused by contaminated axle lubricant.
To correct this condition, drain and refill the rear axle with SAE 80W-90 GL5
(P/N 1052271). The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not
recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip
differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks
equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of
additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease
axle life.
VEHICLES/COMPONENTS INVOLVED:
-----------------------------
Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles, RPO G80.
SERVICE PARTS INFORMATION:
Part Number Description
------------ ------------------------
1052271 Lubricant, Rear Axle (24 oz.)
See Appropriate Gasket, Rear Axle Housing
Parts Manual Cover
 
Top