GT35R stall?

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
I was just reading up on what I could find using search, and I haven't seen any definitive conclusions. What I've figured out is that 2600 - 2800 stall is good with the GT35R, but I'm curious to know if anyone is running it with a stock stall converter and if so how it performs?
 

Sy#2373

New member
Re: GT35R stall?

I'm running a GT35R on my mostly stock truck.
I'm very happy with the turbo, but you will want to change the torque converter.
The truck does have some lag from a dead stop but it spools fast and the top end is much better than stock.
 
Re: GT35R stall?

I have been wondering what stall to go with as well, my GT35R just came last week. I will probably run with the stock converter at first and see how that feels and then go from there. There isn't as much info on using this turbo as there is for most of the other PTE setups.
 

Sy#2373

New member
Re: GT35R stall?

I'm in the middle of installing a 2800 stall converter as we speak, i'll report back towards the end of the week with results.
 

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
Re: GT35R stall?

I'm going with the stock converter on my build for now, but I won't know till the snow melts and my motor is finished ... mostly this is because my stock converter has about 650 miles on it after a tranny rebuild and I can't really budget another new one right now :lol:
 

gt67sy

Member
Re: GT35R stall?

Friend of mine has the stock conveter in his truck with the GT35r truck seem to work pretty good. Mind you it also has the 412 cam and unported vortec but other wise it works pretty well. It is a tiny bit laggy but nothing that is major and has had it in there for about a year.. A 2600-2800 stall would work amaziingly well with the GT35r.
 

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
Re: GT35R stall?

gt67sy said:
Friend of mine has the stock conveter in his truck with the GT35r truck seem to work pretty good. Mind you it also has the 412 cam and unported vortec but other wise it works pretty well. It is a tiny bit laggy but nothing that is major and has had it in there for about a year.. A 2600-2800 stall would work amaziingly well with the GT35r.
I've got mildly worked over vortecs, 412 equivalent and gt35r, so I ought to be set :tup:
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: GT35R stall?

I have spare unknown stall, it came with a used 700r4 transmission I bought for my Corvette (its supose to have 17K miles) The previous owner said it, he thought it was 2500rpm, but not 100% sure because his tach was broken and a previous owner did the work.

At the very least, I would guess it has the Corvette stall which is higher than the Stock SyTy stall converters. I haven't even opened the stall converter box, so I should see if its GM or has other part number on it. Anyway its in my way and I have no plans for it, if you want you can have it.
 

Sy#2373

New member
Re: GT35R stall?

Just a quick update.
I installed a Precision Industries 2800 about a month ago.
What a difference that made with my truck, no more lag and the spool time is amazing.
I now need to do some suspension work because it will kill the tires and wheel hop.
My build is stock with an Ulitmate, factory Intercooler with my custom radiator and basic safety mods.
No track testing yet.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: GT35R stall?

dgoodhue said:
I have spare unknown stall, it came with a used 700r4 transmission I bought for my Corvette (its supose to have 17K miles) The previous owner said it, he thought it was 2500rpm, but not 100% sure because his tach was broken and a previous owner did the work.

At the very least, I would guess it has the Corvette stall which is higher than the Stock SyTy stall converters. I haven't even opened the stall converter box, so I should see if its GM or has other part number on it. Anyway its in my way and I have no plans for it, if you want you can have it.

Nevermind, I opened it up and looked the numbers, unless its b een restalled, the number say 1397rpm.
 

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
Re: GT35R stall?

dgoodhue said:
Nevermind, I opened it up and looked the numbers, unless its b een restalled, the number say 1397rpm.
doggone it, I was about to take you up on that :rant:
 

Sy#2373

New member
Re: GT35R stall?

qbnkiller said:
many people dont realize what a really good TC will do for them!

Oh I know, just kept putting it off cause i didn't want to pull the trans.
The only reason i did it was cause i found a broken motor mount and had most of the truck apart at the time.
I got a killer deal on it off Ebay while i had the truck apart doing the motor mounts.
The whole thing worked out perfect, repalced motor mounts with solids, replaced front diff bearings and changed converter all in about 4 days.
 

HighPerformanceTrucks

Lift & Shift Specialist
Re: GT35R stall?

Wait until you replace the restrictive factory IC! Then you can really blow the tires out!

Sy#2373 said:
Just a quick update.
I installed a Precision Industries 2800 about a month ago.
What a difference that made with my truck, no more lag and the spool time is amazing.
I now need to do some suspension work because it will kill the tires and wheel hop.
My build is stock with an Ulitmate, factory Intercooler with my custom radiator and basic safety mods.
No track testing yet.
 
Top