Got spanked last night!!!

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: Got spanked last night!!!

Syclone's probably a have a little better drag coefficient than a S-10 due to the cladding (which was based off of the LSR) and 2" drop. Also F-Bodies are now where near .31 c/d, I bet the 4th gen are in the .35-.38 range. However, c/d isn't the only variable in wind resistance, frontal area plays a big part of the equation.

The areo disadvantage eats some top hp over coming wind resistance, the AWD eats even more HP. Having low flow stock heads, small cam and smallish turbo doesn't give a good starting point either. The Turbo Buicks also have poor flowing stock heads. Changing the heads on those engine's makes huge difference in Trap Speeds.

I believe 4th gen f-bodies are .34 and they have a pretty small frontal area so they do well up top.

Even with the aero and AWD disadvantage, the right combo can make our trucks pull hard from a roll. Evos and STIs do it with aerodynamics that aren't designed for high end pull and AWD. They may be newer and have better technology from the start, but the premise for high speed rolls is horsepower and SyTys definitely can make the power.
 

firetird

New member
Re: Got spanked last night!!!

AWD = more weight
Ty = more weight than SY
^ = slower acceleration at highway speeds.
I don't care what people SAY about wind tunnels. If you have unbiased documentation stating the results of wind tunnel testing for a Ty or Sy, please post it.

MPH is a much better representation of the amount of power a car is making.

92 S10 Drag coefficient = .45 http://www.syty.net/forums//showthread.php?p=195114
07 Grand Prix Drag coefficient = .31 http://www.cars.com/pontiac/grand-prix/2007/specs/

That is a 45% increase in Drag coefficient. That will make a difference - especially at 60 mph+. No two ways around it, Your opinion of "air bricks" is subjective but most people agree, Sy's/Ty's are at a disadvantage via aerodynamics.


These trucks are always going to be slower on freeway pulls in comparison to a car that has the same weight/power. All wheel drive and being the shape of a box makes these trucks a poor performer at freeway speeds. The Syclone's are not as bad as the Ty's

First off I will not start a pissing contest here. After this post I am done.
I hope you can see how you contradicted yourself in your above statements (or backpedaled). I believe you are smart enough to figure it out. Parasitic loss due to awd is different that having the weight of the awd unit.
The CD difference of these vehicles at 60mph compared to over 130 mph is significant. To go from a roll at 60 to 100, the aerodynamics of a Sy or Ty is not a major factor in the acceleration rate.
Posting results of wind tunnel testing. You really think P & W let me use the place cart blanche. We should not have been there in the first place but it pays to know people. Gonna have to take my word on that one. Sorry. There is quite a bit of published material on roof lines, mirrors ect... for CD. It makes logical sense when applied to a Sy and Ty. Based on your opinion, I can't imagine how Alex took a new ZR1 at speed when he has a AWD-heavy brick. Hmmmmmmmmm (but it happened). Peace out!

I have not backpedaled or contradicted myself. My point still stands - both typhoons and syclones have aerodynamics which DO play a part in role racing. You may feel it does not make that big of a difference but my opinion is different. I do believe the AWD system is the biggest draw back of our trucks (in relation to roll racing) but the box shape hurts them as well.

I don't know who Alex is and I really don't care. I can beat a Viper on my Schwinn if the variables are right. It's pointless to bring up wind tunnel testing if you can't disclose any information about it. Any automotive engineer will tell you coefficient drag and aerodynamics play a huge role in performance and economy.

Another thing for people to look at is not just trap speed, but look at 1/8th mile speeds vs 1/4 mile speeds. You will see our trucks slow down more on the big end than a vehicle which runs the same E.T. This is because of the aerodynamics and AWD. The more power you make in a syty, the less aerodynamics affects you but it is not easy making lots of power with a v6 (well, it's not too hard if you have deep pockets).
 
Last edited:

Gbodydriver

Member
Re: Got spanked last night!!!

I agree with all you guys but the bottom line is on the street with street tires half of those cars dont have a chance in the first 60 feet vs a SY/TY with minimal mods and a decent driver.. Maybe even the quarter....Can I get a witness!!

Disclaimer...I own a six speed RWD GM so please dont take it wrong.. Just adding my two cents
 

pontiacws699

New member
Re: Got spanked last night!!!

I agree with all you guys but the bottom line is on the street with street tires half of those cars dont have a chance in the first 60 feet vs a SY/TY with minimal mods and a decent driver.. Maybe even the quarter....Can I get a witness!!

Disclaimer...I own a six speed RWD GM so please dont take it wrong.. Just adding my two cents

I totally agree, but most of the conversation was about roll racing and thats not really our cup of tea:tup: thats why most poeple will back down from a run from the dig.:rant:
 

JKsSyclone

Active member
Re: Got spanked last night!!!

I agree with all you guys but the bottom line is on the street with street tires half of those cars dont have a chance in the first 60 feet vs a SY/TY with minimal mods and a decent driver.. Maybe even the quarter....Can I get a witness!!

Disclaimer...I own a six speed RWD GM so please dont take it wrong.. Just adding my two cents

:stupid:

Back in my younger days I would street race...a lot. My Sy would beat cars that ran faster times at the track all the time. I would ONLY race from a stop, NEVER from a roll. My friend and I raced once just for an experiment. He had a knotch-back fox body with a 347 that ran .6 faster than me in the 1/8th. From a stop, on street tires, I would hole shot him and it would take him untill he was well into 3rd gear before he would catch me....and YES, he can drive the wheels off a car. He drove his Dad's 9 second 1/4 dragster every weekend. Bottom line...on the street, AWD was like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Its hard to cut a 1.7 60' on the street in a RWD car and I guarantee I can do it everytime in a SyTy. ;)
 
Top