Gilbert driveshaft

bigtime

Sy-Ty Builder
I rebuilt the whole front diff with all new GM parts. I even put silicone on the pinion flange nut and splines. drip, drip, drip, drip
 

TT350

Manufacturer
Pull the pinion nut off clean the nut washer yoke and pinion shaft don’t remove
the yoke with carb cleaner place a bead of RTV around the base of the pinion shaft
wala leak fixed. The oil is finding it’s way up the pinion threads like a leaky head stud
 

Rawpwr7

Donating Member
Mark the pinion nut orientation before you loosen it????? when my propshaft blew up it kept spinning while the transfer pinion was not do i still folow theese steps?? or what do i do?? I got my propshaft in and now need to install it...
 

SY2932

Administrator
Rawpwr7 said:
Mark the pinion nut orientation before you loosen it????? when my propshaft blew up it kept spinning while the transfer pinion was not do i still folow theese steps?? or what do i do?? I got my propshaft in and now need to install it...

The flange in the lower right hand corner MUST be removed before you can install the yoke for the Gilbert propshaft. That is the flange that requires the 32MM socket to be removed from the front differential.
18_8_OEM_propshaft.sized.jpg


If you ACTUALLY broke your old propshaft in two, you will need large pipe wrench or pair of LARGE channel locks (impact wrench would be the best option) to hold the old propshaft stub to keep it from spinning. Then, you will be able remove the bolts that hold the front of the old propshaft to the flange so that you can remove the flange itself.
 

Tydriver

TurboLS6 Powa'
I've had the Gilbert shaft on my truck for a looong time.. I was one of the first peeps to purchase it.. I havent had an issue with it leaking (even tho truck has been sitting for 2 years). Prior to the engine failure, I put about 3000 miles on it.. With that said I am quite happy with that purchase..

Dunno why everyone elses is leaking, but my front diff had 110k on it and the gilbert shaft and it never leaked.
 

crashing_sux

Blow Me?
My name is Shane and I have a Gilbert shaft and leaky pinion seal.

Feel like I'm joining a 12 step program here, didn't realize it was such a common problem.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
I'm having a feeling its not due to the shaft, rather the act of removing and re-installing the flange there.
 

TurboManiacal

Donating Member
SyTyArchives said:
I'm having a feeling its not due to the shaft, rather the act of removing and re-installing the flange there.

This I would believe. I'm sorry for starting something on such a nice piece of work.

So let's get an established install procedure down and write up a "How To".

I'll write it up and take photos with the Digi Reb...but I need to have all the parts handy first and all the steps ready for me to do the article.

Part Number for Pinion Seal?
 

lavaman

envision whirled peas
FWIW, prior to installing the Gilbert's my stock yoke had a slow leak too. After installing new one the drip actually SLOWED and after 20 months I've had to top it off ONCE.....There was some scoring on the original yoke though.....
 

GM TURBO

Sell Out
I have a question - something that has NEVER made sense to me...

If you have a drive shaft that is balanced (as they all are) - why would the orientation of the shaft make a difference? Being there are 4 bolts on it - you can spin it 90* at a time. With the rear - you have whatever the number of splines in the driveshaft divided by 360*.

Being we are AWD - and the shafts turn in opposite directions (one goes clockwise and the other goes counter-clockwise) they are always going to cross paths at the same time. Or if you have some slip between the front and rear - this is going to get thrown off.

I don't know - for some reason in my head it never makes sense when this is said.
 

mduffy

the"other"Morgan
On the stock propshaft, isn't that a viscous coupling? Since SyTys are all wheel drive so there has to be some mechanism accounting for slippage so that the T-case gears don't bind on dry pavement. This leads me to 2 questions:

1. If that is a viscous coupling on the stock shaft won't the Gilbert shaft bind up the t-case?
2. If that isn't a viscous (I have not idea if I spelled that correctly) coupling in the propshaft where and how do they slip?
 

THEMADTYPH00N

Active member
mduffy said:
On the stock propshaft, isn't that a viscous coupling? Since SyTys are all wheel drive so there has to be some mechanism accounting for slippage so that the T-case gears don't bind on dry pavement. This leads me to 2 questions:

1. If that is a viscous coupling on the stock shaft won't the Gilbert shaft bind up the t-case?
2. If that isn't a viscous (I have not idea if I spelled that correctly) coupling in the propshaft where and how do they slip?

The viscous coupling your talking about is inside the transfer case.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
people mark them just for good measure, in all logic rotating either of the shafts on their mounting points shouldnt make any difference. Its just following the idea of "re-install it the way it came off".

the slipping between the front and rear wheels happens in the transfer case, the only nifty things in the propshaft are joints that allow it to rotate and telescope a little.

And the flange it replaces on the stock front differential is simply a difference in the mechanical mounting of the frontend of the shaft.
 

mduffy

the"other"Morgan
Thanks Justin & Ian. I was thinking about getting a Gilbert but wanted to make sure I wasn't f'n anything up first.
 
Top