Fuel Pump?

Syclone#1992

SyTy.net Moderator
Ok,I know I am starting an arguement here. :)

But anyways, I am looking to keep my syclone pretty much stock. Probably not taking it to the track at all, but maybe an occasional street race. I currently have an ATR Cold Air kit with the K&N air cone, an ATR Chip{came with truck} and an ATR Exhaust. When I install the cold air kit I will also ground out the yellow wire to ground out the IC pump.

With the mods I have right now do I need a walbro fuel pump? Shouldn't the stock be sufficient for me? Can't I just put a fuel pressure regulator on the stock? Yeah I plan on turning the boost up once in a while too. We aren't talkin way up either.


Anyways I got some money and I am looking at where to put it. Are there any other mods you would suggest?




_________________
Tim Hoppenworth
27145655TxIqnceUxd_ph.jpg


<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Syclone#1992 on 2002-01-23 17:46 ]</font>
 

GM TURBO

Sell Out
Cranking up the base fuel pressure on a stock pump is going to lead to other issues. Someone had a chart somewhere of Walboro flow vs. fuel pressure type thing. It was interesting as the fuel pressure raised to a certain point the flow would go up - then it got to a point and started to fall off. Of course I don't have the specifics of it - but that is on a high pressure fuel pump. A stocker isn't going to flow nearly as much as a Walboro. Boost adds 1psi of fuel for each psi of boost. So the most fuel you will need is at full boost - obvious. If a Hi Flow fuel pump starts to limit flow at a certain pressure - imagine a Lo Flow :smile: fuel pump at the same pressure - if it will get there. You are dumping a lot of air into the motor. Engines need spark, air and fuel to run. The more air you have - the more fuel and spark. The more spark - the more fuel and air. You get the point. This is where the tuning part of SyTy'ing comes in - kinda. If you have too much of one thing - you are gonna run lean (or rich depending on what you have a lot of). So..............I would say dump your hundred bucks into a fuel pump. I shouldn't preach fuel pumps as I did a stock replacement 3 years ago instead of getting a Walboro. I didn't know about the Walboro - and it would have been cheaper to do it right the first time instead of having to do it twice.
 

JSM

Active member
Do the pump, even if you want to keep it stock....it is safer, better, won't hurt anything mileage etc, and will make you happier...

Stock pumps would have a hard time on a rice burner, let alone a real engine.
 
Top