Front dif drivers side seal retainer.

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Being lazy here. Haven't even looked. Can the drivers side axle and seal retainer be removed with dif still in truck. I have a leak and don't want to remove the dif if I don't have to.
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Re: Front dif drivers side seal retainer.

I wanna say yes, but its been 6+ years since I messed with a front diff on these trucks.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Front dif drivers side seal retainer.

Yes! I've done it several times.

Caution: Put your sealant on the diff housing, not on the plate when you go to put it back on. There's a recess in the 7:00 area on the housing that will trick you if you put the sealant on the plate. Ask Rexxennexx how we know this. When you do it the second time, be sure to tighten the fill plug. Ask Rexxenexx how we know this too.

Hmmm, thanks. Maybe that's why mine leaks. The leak is on that side. I just have to be sure it's not the pinion seal. Nice tip!
 

69chevl

New member
Re: Front dif drivers side seal retainer.

Ok. so i started a thread for some info and i got some info but not really what i was asking, so I'm going to try here since I know Don did this before.

Do I need to remove the axle shaft from the differential in order to get the differential in? I don't mean the axles/cv joints, I mean the solid axle shaft mounted to the diff on the pass side.

Thanks.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Front dif drivers side seal retainer.

Ok. so i started a thread for some info and i got some info but not really what i was asking, so I'm going to try here since I know Don did this before.

Do I need to remove the axle shaft from the differential in order to get the differential in? I don't mean the axles/cv joints, I mean the solid axle shaft mounted to the diff on the pass side.

Thanks.

Nope. Everything kinda just fits. You have to hold your mouth right. (Old joke.) If you've got it out it's the reverse with more swear words added.
 
Top