Engine shuts off while driving

Deuce

New member
My Ty completely shut off while driving yest (very dangerous I might add) and wouldn't start. All the electrical worked fine but the engine wouldn't start again. Interestingly, I did notice I wasn't getting a check engine light when I put the key in the "on" position. After sitting a while and trying to start it, I noticed the check engine light did go on and it started right up. It shut off again later that day. Same thing...no check engine light. But it will start if the light's on. Unfortunately, there's no consistency with this problem. I'm thinking a bad connection somewhere. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
 

Deuce

New member
I was thinking the same thing (no power to ECM). I'll get the grounds first and work my way back through all the connections to the unit. Maybe hit them all with some silicon spray while I'm at it.

I HATE electrical problems!!!!!
 

Deuce

New member
It was the ecm. Swapped it out with a good unit a few times as well as swapped out the chip a few times. all connectins were fine. definitely the ecm. ordered one from GM, put it in, no problemo. a rare problem i would guess, but at least that ones over. what's next?
 

Deuce

New member
tranny....Lets hope not. But when you but these trucks, hope is one thing you definitly need...along with cash, time, and patience.

re the ecm, I got a core deposit back on it. sorry.

enjoy the rest of the w/e.
 
Top