EGT question

B

Blake

Guest
I've been thinking about installing this on my Ty. It sounds like the best place to put it is in the #1 cylinder exhaust runner.
The #1 cylinder seems to be the leanest due to intake manifold design and fuel rail design(this is taken from posts I've read). Most places say to put it about 6 inches out but I don't know if we have that much room with the stock exhaust manifolds.
What kind of temperatures should be expected for a well tuned truck? Many sites list temps(the temps that are being published are fairly consistent for certain states of driving) but I don't know if egt is universal for all engines(depending on probe placement of course).

It sounds like the exhaust runner is best placement(only gets pulsed once per cycle). The "collector" just before the turbo charger will be the hottest(probe constantly getting bombarded with exhaust pulses from all cylinders), and in the downpipe will be the "coolest".

Does this sound right? I'll also be getting Datamaster soon. Does anyone have any tips for coordinating the egt readings with the data obtained from Datamaster? Sorry so long but this sounds like a decent tuning tool but I need to learn how to use it properly.

Oh...Here are some temps that have been published:
WOT 1600 to 1700+F=certain death
Idle after warmup = 1000 F
Normal WOT constant speed =1350 to 1410 F

Don't hammer me too hard, just trying to learn.

Thanks so much,
George Blake
 

just a 6

R.I.P MyClone
You want the cylinder temp, so i would install it as close to the cylinder as possible. I'm going to install an EGT too, but need to know what cylinder is running hottest?

On 2002-01-14 12:08, Blake wrote:
I've been thinking about installing this on my Ty. It sounds like the best place to put it is in the #1 cylinder exhaust runner.
The #1 cylinder seems to be the leanest due to intake manifold design and fuel rail design(this is taken from posts I've read). Most places say to put it about 6 inches out but I don't know if we have that much room with the stock exhaust manifolds.
What kind of temperatures should be expected for a well tuned truck? Many sites list temps(the temps that are being published are fairly consistent for certain states of driving) but I don't know if egt is universal for all engines(depending on probe placement of course).

It sounds like the exhaust runner is best placement(only gets pulsed once per cycle). The "collector" just before the turbo charger will be the hottest(probe constantly getting bombarded with exhaust pulses from all cylinders), and in the downpipe will be the "coolest".

Does this sound right? I'll also be getting Datamaster soon. Does anyone have any tips for coordinating the egt readings with the data obtained from Datamaster? Sorry so long but this sounds like a decent tuning tool but I need to learn how to use it properly.

Oh...Here are some temps that have been published:
WOT 1600 to 1700+F=certain death
Idle after warmup = 1000 F
Normal WOT constant speed =1350 to 1410 F

Don't hammer me too hard, just trying to learn.

Thanks so much,
George Blake
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Ive heard again and again #1. My dad installed on #1.

From what I know, the only advantage to putting one in the dp/turbo is that you would be able to monitor all the cylinders collectivly, HOWEVER, the difference will be almost un noticable if a cylinder starts to run lean because the other 5 are mixing together resulting in a small change in temp reading

_________________
babie2.jpg
si means fast
Ian T
91 sy#2424 42k
89 crx si 220k
orlando, F.A.S.T.
http://www.sytyarchives.com
http://www.rev-in.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SyTyArchives on 2002-01-14 14:01 ]</font>
 
B

Blake

Guest
Yeah. #1 exhaust runner sounds like the place to put it. Haven't read anything about cylinder temps yet. Wouldn't even know how to go about getting it in there. The exhaust would seem easier to do. Don't know.

What about temperatures that we would actually be looking for?

Ian, what did your dad get for temps with the different states of driving?

I read posts before about this and temps were given but none told where the probe was actually at when they got the numbers, the state of engine tune, or how they coordinated it with the rest of the data to make it actually useful. Maybe it doesn't necessarily need to be coordinated. I guess that's why I need to learn more about it.
 

kwick6

Donating Member
I would not be too concerned what temps other people are using. You want to tune for no knock, and higher EGT's.
I wasn't real crazy about pulling the headers to drill out. I also wasn't sure what temps I would be running, and my gauge only goes to 1600, so its on the downpipe.

Scott
 
B

Blake

Guest
What kind of temps are you getting in the DP? That is supposed to be the "coolest" spot to take a reading from. I think I understand what you're saying about tuning for a particular vehicle and not getting wrapped up in what someone else's does. I just though there was some common temp amongst all vehicles that showed when a proper fuel enrichment had been reached. I guess there's no cheap replacement for a wideband O2 sensor.
 

kwick6

Donating Member
I haven't been able to find out what temps my truck likes at WOT because I'm still working on getting rid of knock. 02 sensor is mounted on the downpipe so its probably good enough place to mount it. I haven't really settled on a good fuel press. to run yet either so they vary at idle , cruise also. Right now it just serves as a warning sign, ie. if I see the temps going up around 1300 (actually ~1600... subtract 300 for being on the downpipe) I would be checking things out.
Once I get running with zero knock then I'll be able to get more into using it. I'll be keeping a close look at plug #1, as well as a scan tool so I should know when I have gone too far. I would assume the wb02 is better, but I haven't got my hands on one yet. I think the guys doing the chip burning have found a make your own wb02 for around $200. Thats cheaper than an EGT. Hmmmm we'll see.

Scott
 

just a 6

R.I.P MyClone
I think aluminum melts at 1650*, with my previuos car (Eclipse GSX) no more then 13-1400* at WOT in third gear. I assume the exhaust temp is about the same for all vehicles? Tuned right i mean, correct me if i'm wrong please.

Swede//

On 2002-01-14 19:16, kwick6 wrote:
I would not be too concerned what temps other people are using. You want to tune for no knock, and higher EGT's.
I wasn't real crazy about pulling the headers to drill out. I also wasn't sure what temps I would be running, and my gauge only goes to 1600, so its on the downpipe.

Scott
 

just a 6

R.I.P MyClone
You don't need to pull the header/manifold when you drill for the EGT probe. Just drill until you are almost tru, then start the vehicle and drill the rest. Any shavings from the drill bit will be blown out from the exhaust pressure. Just a tip.



On 2002-01-14 19:16, kwick6 wrote:
I would not be too concerned what temps other people are using. You want to tune for no knock, and higher EGT's.
I wasn't real crazy about pulling the headers to drill out. I also wasn't sure what temps I would be running, and my gauge only goes to 1600, so its on the downpipe.

Scott
 

kwick6

Donating Member
On 2002-01-14 23:56, swede wrote:
I think aluminum melts at 1650*, with my previuos car (Eclipse GSX) no more then 13-1400* at WOT in third gear. I assume the exhaust temp is about the same for all vehicles? Tuned right i mean, correct me if i'm wrong please.

Swede//

The buick guys are in the 1500-1600 range.

On 2002-01-14 23:58, swede wrote:
You don't need to pull the header/manifold when you drill for the EGT probe. Just drill until you are almost tru, then start the vehicle and drill the rest. Any shavings from the drill bit will be blown out from the exhaust pressure. Just a tip.

Good tip.

Scott

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kwick6 on 2002-01-15 00:08 ]</font>
 
B

Blake

Guest
Yeah, I tried to do the DIY wideband thing. I got the files off of diy efi and signed up for the board that was fabbed up in small quantities but never heard from them again. I also received a kinda criptic message from an e-mail that somewhat explained how it worked and some code changes but not enough that I could just do it. Little pieces left out here and there. I began to feel like I was bothering the individual so I just gave up on it. I understand they don't just want to give the info away. It is an outstanding idea and used the unused TPS input that would have been used on the standard shift Sunbirds and was completely integrated into the rest of the data that was collected. That part however was kinda choppy too(as far as how to change code in your data collector to display it). If anyone out there has one that works, I would love to hear how you did it.
Thanks,
Blake
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
We did the run while drilling thing while doing my dad's. Its been done safely on several trucks I know of now. I would guess that some of the shavings would make their way into the turbo, however my dad's didnt recieve any damage.

I'll have to get his temps. he has a fresh stock rebuild, entirely stock truck with exception of the regular stocker-bolt ons.
 
Top