coolant

turboj91

New member
Has anyone tried the coolant from Evans. It is a non aqueous solution (no water mixed-use it straight). It's more expensive than others, but lasts longer than everything else, including Dexcool, has no corrosive properties (since it has no water) and it supposed to be a better heat extractor. They claim a performance gain just from the cooland change. Supposed to run it straight. Need to remove all water/antifreeze solutions from the entire system. Sounds like it should also benefit the I/C.
 

smeagol

Active member
I had it in my Syclone at the Nats in 2000. Lost it all in the parking lot at about 1am when the truck was idling... unfortunately I had no EXTRA Evans NPG with me. So I had to pull the coolant port outta the block, drain the rest, and run straight water.

Anyways, I believe in the stuff, but have no data to show. You have to have a well prepped system to run it. Myself.. I wouldn't run it unless I was using a high flow pump, and a good high capacity aluminum radiator.

The intercooler won't really benefit IMO, since it doesn't see the high temperatures the cylinder heads & block sees. I am thinking you probably never boil off fluid in the intercooler, which is where an Evans system would beat a water/ethylene glycol based system.

You also may run a bit hotter coolant temps in a typical Evans setup. A truck running 160-170 deg with regular coolant may run the same (similar EGTs and cylinder temps) with Evans coolant at 180-190. So you have to reprogram your brain to understand that..

Dexcool - stay away from it IMO, doesn't live up to its expectations, and everyone with big fleets of cars/trucks swap it out.
 

turboj91

New member
Thanks BG. BTW, for any others, I heard the same exact info on Dexcool. Just talked to a dealers service writer about her 99 Blazer. Just cost her $853 for cooling system service and repairs. Cause of the problem(s), Dexcool and GM wouldn't warranty any part of it. She wasn't happy.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
I used dex in my truck/intercooler for a short time. stuff seems to create a sludgey resedue.

green shit all the way!
 

turboj91

New member
Would not recommend it. There are advantages to anti-freeze. It raises the boiling point of the water its mixed with as well as lowering the freezing point. It also has anti-corrosive properties. Buy one of the name brands. It may cost more but they have a higher concentration of corrosion protection than the cheap stuff.
 

4C FED

Absolutum Dominium
Like stated above, boiling water in the IC should not be a problem. Freezing might be, if you in one of those forsaken places.

If you've replaced all of your metal lines, use distilled water and some WaterWetter and corrosion should not be an issuee.

Redline website:
"Red Line WaterWetter® is designed to provide improved metal wetting and excellent corrosion inhibition when added to plain water or a glycol coolant."
"Water has twice the heat transfer capability when compared to 50% glycol antifreeze/coolant in water."
 

warmpancakes

New member
I ran water wetter/distilled mix in rad and the i/c with no problems, but several benefits truck cooled down faster same as I/c and when you have to pull a line for any reason you dont poison the dog, all I had to do when winter rolled in was just open the drains and let some out and refill with the green stuff, and another advantage fresh coolant every year
 
Top