Boost gauge install problems

InvisiBill

Active member
Got my Sport Comp and Lotek mostly installed tonight. Took it out for a spin, and it doesn't work. It shows more vaccuum than the stock gauge (I know, that doesn't say much), and it never gets into boost, even at WOT (stock seems to be fairly accurate/consistent). I did put a kink in the line while I was installing it, could that be it? Should any decent auto store have the compression fittings to use on it?

Also, anyone know off the top of their head what wire is the "dimmed" one at the back of the dimmer switch? Still need to hook up the bulb so I can actually see it at night...
 

JoeLutz

New member
You probabaly have the line teed in after a check valve. Where did you hook the line into? Best place IMO is at the manifold where the brake booster line is.

For the lights, there is a open slot on the fuse box labeled "LP" or "LPS" just use a male spade connector and plug it in there.

_________________
Joe Lutz
My Typhoon is a money thieving whore
Ty4redweb.jpg

communities.msn.com/joeelutz


<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joemama on 2002-01-14 23:15 ]</font>
 

InvisiBill

Active member
I have Ron G's kit, which replaces the stock manifold to brake booster hose barb...

Is that a dimmed one? I'd like to have it dim with the rest of the dash lights, since I'm trying to keep a stock look...
 

E-Rue

New member
bill, i dont remember which wire it is off the top of my head, but u can use a test light, or multi meter. you can find the wire by trial and error, by watching the voltage vary while u turn the dimmer back and forth slowly. also, sounds like your gauge has gone crazy, if the line is kinked, to where it doesnt show boost, it really shouldnt show vacume either.

e
 

InvisiBill

Active member
Hmmmm... My girl got me the gauge for my birthday a few months back. The bezel was a bit out of round and the needle was a little low like something happened to it in shipping, so I exchanged it... Finally got the new one this weekend and just opened it today... The first time they couldn't find one in stock to replace it, and this time they said that they'd been having trouble getting Autometers in... egauges.com for those of you who care... I found out it's not too far from the girl's apartment, so I just stopped in there to exchange it.

Yeah, I keep a multimeter in the center console, but I just thought I'd see if anyone knew it off the top of their head. I think I figured it out when I put the alarm in, I just don't remember what I figured out...

I guess it would be possible to have a leak that sealed itself with vaccuum, and opened under boost... *shrug*
 

InvisiBill

Active member
The line was folding over intermittantly at the kink. It would be in vaccuum, then get sucked shut, keeping the gauge in vac no matter what the engine was doing. If I wiggled it a bit, it would start working fine.

Hooked it up to the LPS spot in the fusebox, and it blends right in with the stock gauges with the green bulb cap.

Also, the stock gauge is fairly accurate on mine. It seems to be "looser" or something, as it flies right up and seems to flail around more. But for the most part, it reads almost exactly the same as the Autometer.

Thanks for the help guys.
 
Top