bad propshaft sounds

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
I've been trying to track down a sound that cropped up recently. Turning and accelerating, the truck would make a sort of squeeking revolution noise.

At first I wasnt sure what it was but the prop shaft had to be it. CV's click and this was no clicking, sounded like a joint squeeking. And it obviously corrisponded to speed of the truck (switching into N didnt change the speed or anything)

popped it off today and the rear double joint has signs of loosing its oil. several of the rubber seals have oil slung out of them and appear to have seperated. I cant get it to make noise out of the truck by turning or twising it, but the sound is decidedly gone while driving.

On the other hand, HOLY CRAP are these things burn-out demons. I cant keep the rear tires planted. Shifts cause the tires to chip under normal driving. Get on it and the tires blow off in the middle of first, second and third.

Gotta watch out for wet roads now :-?
 

lavaman

envision whirled peas
I had the same squeaking and the noise came from the same spot except that one of the joints turned out to have destroyed a bunch of needle bearings. It was sitting crooked...good thing I decided to change it out with a Gilbert's Driveline propshaft...After reading posts below, I believe Mike Campbell convinced me to get one...
 

lavaman

envision whirled peas
I don't think its the power that fvcks up the prop. 'cuz the prop. only gets 40% of the torque. IMO the double cardan joint is a POS....more moving parts to break.
 

thesyguy

Member
Can someone post a phone number for Gilbert Driveline? I am interested in getting a better propshaft soon. How much do they run?
 

lavaman

envision whirled peas
about $330...search might find under lynn D. Brown or Mike Campbell's posts? someone'll prolly post it.
 

Larry

New member
bad propshaft sounds

I posted it in another subject on front prop shafts but here it is for you.

Gilbert Driveline
Tel #603-623-3061
Fax #603-641-8460

Larry Jones
 

Loeryder

New member
Just got off the phone with them.

Very nice guys!!!

My price was $337.25 shipped to Stl from New Hampshire.
All along I thought these guys were in OH, but the accent of the guy answering the phone definitely gave it away they are New Englanders. :wink:

He said they have not had a report of a broken SyTy shaft to date, yet.

Thanks for the tips Mike!
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
$340.62 and a few paychecks' savings and the propshaft is on its way.

I better not be able to hear, or break, or feel this thing... Hell, I better go faster now.

cant wait to be using all 4 trans-breaking wheels again, ug 2wd SUCKS.
 
Top