AEM Dyno

The Bronze

New member
I am looking into incorporating one this summer since there isn't any dyno facilities in my neck of the woods. I am interested in any input as well.
 

JSM

Active member
Re: AEM Dyno

I suspect its a load cell inside measuring torsional twist to determine torque, with RPM and some math due to transmission ratios you get HP.

Interesting idea, curious how accurate even though it wouldn't matter as it would be great baseline vs itself.
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: AEM Dyno

Use it as a tool. It will show you a trend based on your changes (tuning, parts, chassis, etc).
 

The Bronze

New member
Re: AEM Dyno

Front shaft will have to be removed. That or have 100% fixed bias between the two output shafts I suppose...

100% agree with it as a tuning tool. Hotrod had an interesting article that used multiple dynos and the numbers were all over the place! As long as the AEM is consistent. I guess I should search the slipyoke information or just pull my driveshaft and check the splines and outer diameter
 

MadMike

Member
Re: AEM Dyno

Part 1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9zBQbnW3g8
Part 2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMbQNznIkVY

$60 pack of 5 strain gages on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Measurement-Strain-Gauges-CEA-05-187UV-350-/180637307891?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0ed293f3

FWIW

The concept has been used forever. At $1,100 bucks still not interested.

I think if you could work out the interpretation of the data. the sync'd logging. It should be doable for a couple hundred i'd think.

I guess if I figured it all out I wouldn't tell either. But if someone has less projects than me they should try to do a home built setup..... :2cents:
 

tunerpike

Donating Member
Re: AEM Dyno

I believe it is two inductive quadrature incremental encoders. One encoder is measuring trans speed while the other is measureing driveshaft speed/defermation. Quadrature outputs up to 12 bit would equal 4096, divide that by 360 to give you a rotational accuracy of .09 degress.

Quadrature output will also give direction, z and z not. I do not believe this technology would work with AWD, mostly because the torque is divided. Not that it really matters for tuning purposes, your just looking for a relationship...
 

nr94

swe typhoon
Re: AEM Dyno

http://www.land-and-sea.com/rotary-shaft-dyno/rotary-shaft-dyno-price.htm

http://www.land-and-sea.com/rotary-shaft-dyno/rotary-shaft-dyno.htm
0-5_volt_rotary_torque_transducer_600.jpg
 

alwayscode390

pppssssshhhhhtttttttttttt
Re: AEM Dyno

To get your maximum horsepower you would have to WOT up to redline HAHAH ... I dont know many straight aways to do that without getting the cops called on me ---
 
Top