4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

denny

Active member
I couldn't get the crossmember to bolt up, the transfercase touching the floorboard/tunnel. I pulled the transfercase , thinking maybe I have the adapter plate bolted upside down. The adaptor plate can only bolt ip one way, the holes wouldn't lined up if I flip the top to the bottom. So I guess I have to hammer the floorboard and drill new bolt holes on the crossmember and see how I can drop it.
Anyone had this problem?

cell pic
4l80adap3.jpg
 

Six-is-Enough

Use to do a little Boost
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

It is very tight in there with all of them. You will need to make some clearance some how.

Just curious what does your truck have for motor mounts? Solid on both sides?
 

denny

Active member
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

Yes , solid motor mounts. I know my engine is up higher thank stock with them.
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

Solid motor mounts put them WAY up high. Not a little. A lot. Common issue with them. I believe Mike Lee is coming up with a solution for that.
 

mrweelr

New member
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

$hit, so solid mounts cause this? Is this an issue with Syclones too? I hammered that lip down on the cab today and then painted it. Hopefully, I don't have an interference issue there or this problem Denny is having. One thing I did is loosen up the motor mounts when removing and installing the tranny. This should provide a little bit of wiggle room. Here's where I'm at with mine. Will be removing that factory-riveted crossmember next weekend.

PrimeGears80e1.JPG

PrimeGears80e2.JPG

PrimeGears80e3.JPG
 
Last edited:

Six-is-Enough

Use to do a little Boost
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

I have solids on driver side and stock motor mount on passenger side and I got mine to fit. Also helped with Daron's Sy that had solids on both sides and got them it to fit, so it can be done!
 

MRKING

New Parts for Old Trucks
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

rpm solid engine mounts here and plenty of room all around . does your 80e trans support have slotted holes to allow you to drop it down some ?
 

Houseofperformance

switchhappy!!!
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

running the 4l80e in the sy with solid motor mounts - there are little clearance issues at the firewall lip/seam (hammer it flat) and i also hat troubles fitting the steelbraided tranycooler lines - had to hammmer a bulge in the floorboard right at the transmission tunnel to prevent the fitting hitting the floor.
no clearance issues at the transfercase!
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

The passenger side of the crossmember is slotted so it can be dropped down.
ANother thing to consider is the body mounts. If you have sag, it'll drop the body down. Jeremy D's is cherry so I don't forsee any fitment issues except at the firewall lip, but every truck is a little different. He may not have issues there either.
 

denny

Active member
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

I knew about the firewall clearance before hand, that was not an issue. I grinded the rib ontop of the trans and pound firewall.
The crossmemeber mounting holes are slotted, its at the lowest that it can go, still the transfercase touching, I even took out that metal bracket on top if the polly mount.

I am sure I will get it to fit, just a matter of time. I have a couple of mini sledge hammer and not afraid to use it.
 

Six-is-Enough

Use to do a little Boost
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

ANother thing to consider is the body mounts. If you have sag, it'll drop the body down. Jeremy D's is cherry so I don't forsee any fitment issues except at the firewall lip, but every truck is a little different. He may not have issues there either.


I had to hammer up the firewall lip to get fitment in both mine and daron's.
 

Six-is-Enough

Use to do a little Boost
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

I knew about the firewall clearance before hand, that was not an issue. I grinded the rib ontop of the trans and pound firewall.
The crossmemeber mounting holes are slotted, its at the lowest that it can go, still the transfercase touching, I even took out that metal bracket on top if the polly mount.


You might get a stock rubber mount and try that, I think the polys are a little taller.:2cents:
 

mrweelr

New member
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

I had to hammer up the firewall lip to get fitment in both mine and daron's.

I hammered that lip flat on my truck this weekend. What about this grinding business on the tranny housing? I sure hope I don't need to take a grinder to that beauty.
 

mrweelr

New member
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

It's a Precision Industries 9.5" billet 3 clutch lockup converter, 3200 stall.
 

denny

Active member
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

Mines look similar except the color, mines is from PTC. (http://www.ptcrace.com)
I was told the owner of PTC was a former TCS employee. I also got 3200 stall lockup.
 

mrweelr

New member
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

I just went with what Nolan and George recommended, based on my engine specs and goals. Should have no problem running well into the 10s with this new build. We will see :)
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: 4l80e - transfercase touching the floorboard

I knew it was yours. I was just admiring my work :) I did slave over that one after all.
 
Top