4L60E trans cooler

Osmosis

New member
I recenlty had to rebuild my 4L60E and there was so much metal inside the transmission due to a failed trans pump. Now, I"m concerned of getting contaminated coolant IF I use the stock trans cooler. I have decided to delete the stock trans cooler and use and auxillary cooler. I purchased a Hayden 0405 with diameters of 1 1/2 thick, 12 x 15 7/8. Will this cooler by itself be sufficient for my stock Ty?
 

Syclone#2960

What ever it takes!!
Re: 4L60E trans cooler

Take the radiator to a transmission shop and ask them if they can flush it out for you. I know have seen some tranny cooler cleaning sprays in auto part stores.
 

Osmosis

New member
Re: 4L60E trans cooler

Most shops said that you can not get all of the metal out. My trans guy told me to get an aux cooler and run that instead of the stock cooler. I figured an aux cooler was cheaper than purchasing a new radiator. I got some kooler kleener and cleaned out the lines. I have considered running an old fuel pump with solvent through the stock lines into the cooler??? Not sure what to do :(
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: 4L60E trans cooler

You are going to have a headache mounting it somewhere to get good airflow then all the connections and hoses.

A new radiator with an inbuilt cooler is $90. How much have you got in this aux setup? I'd get a new radiator. :2cents:
 

ZavzTy547

Senior Member
Re: 4L60E trans cooler

You are going to have a headache mounting it somewhere to get good airflow then all the connections and hoses.

A new radiator with an inbuilt cooler is $90. How much have you got in this aux setup? I'd get a new radiator. :2cents:

If it's the stock radiator w/oil and tranny cooler built in, I'd just replace the radiator with another oem radiator since they're pretty cheap on ebay. . . .
 

Syclone#2960

What ever it takes!!
Re: 4L60E trans cooler

I bought my ty radiator from autozone years ago and Im running the edelbrock pump with it and it performs way better than I expected. Just figure you get a new radiator out of it and save yourself the headache of having to run a separate cooler.
 
Top