400 trans transfercase adapter info?

100in6

100in6
anybody know the name and/or have a phone number of the company that makes one to change over to a 400. advance adapters doesn't have one.
 

10secTy

Sy-Ty builder and Tuner
Is the output shaft on a T-400 the same size as the 700? Just wondering how you get the stock transfercase to fit if the output shaft is larger?

Nolan
 

100in6

100in6
hi nolan

this is what i know, and i may be wrong because getting the real story about this is like pullin teeth. you'd think this was a big dark secret and they don't really want you to know where they come from.

the output shaft of the 400 is bigger and won't work with the transfer case. so you have to use a different shaft that necks down to work with the the transfer case. I've been told absolute different stories from different folks about whether or not you have to change the propshaft and drifeshaft or modify them. I promise that if I do this and find out all the real scope I will let guys know so nobody else has to try to find all this out. Art carr has the best price on a 4L80 and i wonder if you have to do the same stuff to use that as a 400

this is all my fault for saying my converter and trans was doin fine. I should have it torn down within the next day or so

I did a jinx and fudgepacked myself with a big one :(
 

JSM

Active member
I am thinking the signature needs modifing now.

Good work, even with the setbacks.
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
les

find out real fast...Please

I tore mine up last nite, which shouldnt surprise anyone.

fortunatley there was enough left in it to drive it from the track to the shop, then drive the beater home.

ed
 

smeagol

Active member
I know someone that has done it for sure. I have his contact info somewhere around here, I'll post it when i find it.

Twin turbo v8 in an S10 with turbo 400 and a Syty transfercase. Budget build up, believe it or not... runs 10s on pump gas, low boost, cheaply built motor... just a cool cool truck.
 

10secTy

Sy-Ty builder and Tuner
I wonder if anyone talks to Hoover? He has a 400 so it can be done.
You just have to find the right people to talk to.
I will keep looking let you know if I find anything.

Nolan
 

100in6

100in6
I emailed dr. hoover and am waiting to hear from him. I have his phone number but since I don't know him I thought I would try the email route first. i read an archive that talked about jim stokes goin through all kinds of trannys with built motors. since I have one of his setups I thought i will try him too. article talked about these things with a big morot accumulating in the neighborhood of 7500 pounds of torque to the ground
 

myclone

Donating Member
Canadian SY/TY said:
I wonder if anyone talks to Hoover? He has a 400 so it can be done.
You just have to find the right people to talk to.
I will keep looking let you know if I find anything.

Nolan

I know some ppl that have worked on/tuned that truck so they may know what xfer case and/or adaptor is used. I'll post what I find out after I get off the phone with them (Patrick PTE FWIW).
 

100in6

100in6
brian

the only novak engineering I could find was a communications based business. do you have any other info about how to find them?

les
 

myclone

Donating Member
100in6 said:
i talked to patrick yesterday and he didn't know anything about the tran. suggested i talk to dr. hoover.

LOL.. I got the same response from Patrick. Oh, well it was good to talk to the big lug anyway.

McCoy has supposedly done some work on that truck but I aint calling him so someone who knows McCoy may get some info.
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
ok yall listen up

les found this company that did the tran in dr hoovers truck using the stock transfer case and no shaft or mount modifications required!!!!

I just got off the phone with them and they are going to call me back to discuss this.

the guy did say they have done a bunch of them.

now since this application is also on their website i have to beleive him.

this is done with a turbo 400 so there is no overdrive!

i dont know if the same mod they do can be done on a a 4l80e but i think its just a matter of finding someone.

what they do is a different output shaft and an adapter ...anyway details are on the site.

the biggest consideration here between the 400 and the 4l80e looks like it all comes down to where the truck gets driven and what is it like without any overdrive.....

the other consideration is that this company's 400 conversion is probably relatively dirt cheap compared to a 4l80 conversion.

Les told me hoover paid something like 1400!!!!! and it was this company that did his trans.

anyway heres the link:

http://www.fbperformance.com/transmissions/pro_ss_turbo.html

scroll down to the options where it says CK. this is the option we need!

ed
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
here's a bit more info

so i call up this guy named matt at hughes.

I tell him what fb performance is doing and ask him if they can do the same thing with a 4l80e.

he is going to look into the shaft and adapter sutff and let me know by the end of the day 6pm eastern.

ed
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
ok so mike from fb called me back

prices
unit 775
core 175
2.75 low gear planetary 495 ( i asked for this dont know if we need it)
10" converter 675

lead time to ship is 10 days
come packed in a plastic drum $80 refundalble on return.

heres the sticky part

normal warranty is 1 year

but these are usually only built as a manual shift trans.

they can do it as a automatic shifting but there would be no warranty!

Why does there allways have to be a damn tradeoff!

and they do dyno the units so they can get the shift points where you want them.

what to do? beats me...i gotta hear from hughes yet and think this over

ed
 

10secTy

Sy-Ty builder and Tuner
One thing to keep in mind is the TC lockup. I know you can get 400's that have a locking TC but they are big bucks. At least with the 4L80E you will get the locking TC. You will have to compare prices to see which is the way to go. Also you will have to see if you will have enough rpm out of your present motor as alot of guys do a 3-4 shift. Hoover does not worry about this as he spins his motor high.

Some places seem to have problems setting up nonlocking TC to be loose at the bottom and tight on the top. There is a good post on turbobuick about this Go to http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31300&highlight=t400.

Just some more info to hopefully help.

Nolan
 

100in6

100in6
OK guys...everybody PLEASE keep your fingers, and anything else that you can cross crossed. My tran may not really be broke. won't know for sure till tomorrow but the first impression since it is now out is that it may not be broken. I aint sayin anything else since I probably jinxed myself talkin bout it in the first place!

If this thing aint broke I'm gonna deficate myself and go get :drinking:
 

100in6

100in6
its broke. metal in filter, clutches are scored, converter broke. new upgraded clutches from rossler and new converter and will be back up and running

nolan...this is all your fault cause you asked me what converter I was runnin and put the whammy on me :D (just funnin)

what's that old sayin ...shit happens
 

nightdiver

Active member
When i asked Mike Lee for a 400 he said noone broke a builted 350 yet.......and you dont need a new crossmember and shafts.
Im seriously thinking bout the L80...just waiting the pioneers to do it first
 
Top